What to Expect
The Spring 2019 Master's Hooding Ceremony will be held on Monday, April 22, 2019. This year we are having two ceremonies. The first ceremony, for students graduating from programs in the Daniel L. Goodwin College of Education, will begin at 5:30 p.m. The second ceremony, for students graduating from programs in the College of Arts and Sciences and the College of Business and Management, will be at 7:30 p.m. Both ceremonies will be in the Northeastern Illinois University Auditorium.
Students participating in the first hooding ceremony should arrive no later than 5 p.m. Students participating in the later ceremony should arrive no later than 7 p.m.
Graduates: You will receive an email invitation from the College of Graduate Studies and Research approximately four weeks before the ceremony with an RSVP form.
All graduates must obtain regalia in order to participate in the Master’s Hooding Ceremony. Pre-registration for Commencement does not automatically register you for the Hooding Ceremony. Please be sure to register for both if you plan on attending both ceremonies.
There is no rehearsal for the Master’s Hooding Ceremony, so please follow the instructions below for lineup, marching and hooding on the day of the ceremony.
- All graduates participating in the Master's Hooding Ceremony MUST attend in the appropriate regalia.
- The price for master’s cap, gown, hood and tassel is $82.
- Regalia may be purchased at the Salute to Graduates event at the NEIU Bookstore on the Main Campus after the Salute to Graduates.
- Although you will wear your cap for Commencement, you will not wear the cap for the Master’s Hooding Ceremony.
- Please purchase your regalia early so that you have time to iron or steam it before the event.
No guests will be allowed to enter the Auditorium for the ceremony unless they have a ticket. Due to limited seating, graduating students participating in the Hooding Ceremony may bring up to 2 (two) guests each. Guest tickets will be offered on a first come, first served basis.
The deadline to pick up your tickets will be provided in your email invitation and instructions. Tickets for your guests may be picked up from the College of Graduate Studies and Research Dean’s Office in LWH 0041 between 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Monday-Friday, or at the Salute to Graduates event. If you are unable to pick up your tickets during the designated hours, please call or email us to make other arrangements.
Please pick your tickets up as early as possible – this will help us with the planning for this new event. You must bring a photo ID with you when picking up your tickets.
The Day of the Ceremony
- Arrive at the Auditorium no later than half an hour before your ceremony on April 22.
- Complimentary parking is available on the fifth floor of the Parking Facility, which is marked as building 16 on the interactive campus map.
- Bring or wear your gown (but not your cap) for the hooding ceremony.
- Bring the hood for your discipline with you to the Auditorium.
- When you line up to go on stage, drape the hood over your left arm with the velvet closest to your elbow. Please do not tie or button the hood as this complicates the hooding process.
- Leave personal belongings in your vehicle or with your guests – the University is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- Check in with the College of Graduate Studies and Research staff to obtain your reader card, which will feature your name and program.
- Your guest(s) may sit anywhere in the rear sections of the Auditorium, but they will not sit with you during the ceremony.
- An usher will be available to escort you and your guests to the appropriate seating area.
- Once the ceremony begins, an usher will guide your program on stage.
- Due to the formality of this event, please tell your guests that if young children are unable to sit quietly during the ceremony, they are encouraged to step outside into the hallway out of courtesy to your fellow graduates.
No balloons will be allowed inside the Auditorium.
- Ushers will indicate when to go on stage.
- Take your reader card and your hood (unbuttoned, draped over your left arm) with you to the stage.
- Hand your reader card to the reader on stage.
- Walk to the hooding area and present your hood to the Deans. You will be hooded by your College’s Dean and the Graduate Dean.
- The photographer will take an action photo as you are being hooded.
- Continue to the other side of the stage to greet faculty from your master’s program.
- Quietly return to your seat; an usher will be available to assist you.
- Out of courtesy to your fellow graduates, please stay in the Auditorium for the entire program.
Immediately following the ceremony, there will be a reception held in Alumni Hall for you and your guests.
We encourage graduates, friends, and family to use the hashtag #NEIUgrad on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Don't forget to follow NEIU on Facebook and Instagram (@neiulife) and Twitter (@neiu)!
Contact the College of Graduate Studies and Research at (773) 442-6011 or firstname.lastname@example.org.