Mental Health and Wellness Services for Students
Reaching your academic goals can be difficult if you are suffering from emotional distress, relationship difficulties and other concerns. Counseling and therapy can enable you to understand and deal with those issues. It can free you to make clearer and healthier decisions.
You can use counseling to explore personal problems in your life such as:
- Suicidal thoughts
- Sexual assault and abuse
- Grief and loss
- Relationship concerns
- and many other difficulties that may cause stress and disrupt your life.
Explore the information on this site to learn more about:
- how counseling might help you
- how to refer someone else to a counselor
- how to find help off-campus
Use the links on the left for other services offered on campus.
Counseling services are available to currently registered NEIU students. We provide short-term treatment and the number of individual or couples therapy sessions are determined in collaboration with the therapist. Group counseling services are available to Northeastern students without session limits. Discuss details of this policy with your counselor.
To speak with a counselor here on campus, call NEIU's Counseling Services (773) 442-4650 to make an appointment or visit us in room D-024 on the Main Campus.
Our office hours are Monday through Thursday: 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m; Friday 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
For Spring 2017, we will also be providing outreach and consultation to students, faculy, and staff at El Centro. Visit us in the Welcome Center on Mondays between 1:00 - 5:00 p.m.; Tuesdays between 2:00 - 5:00 p.m. No appointment is necessary at El Centro and all services are provided on a walk-in basis.
For immediate assistance...
- Call NEIU's Counseling Services (773) 442-4650 and ask to speak to a counselor. After hours, press "2" for emergency intervention and consultation to the campus community.
- Call Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center Crisis Line (773) 296-5380.
- Call 911.
- Call or visit your local hospital emergency room. The closest hospital to NEIU's Main Campus is Swedish Covenant Hospital at the corner of Foster and California Avenues. Their ER is located at 2739 W. Foster Avenue. (773) 878-8200.
- Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255), en Español 1-888-628-9454.
Noteworthy at Northeastern: Props to the professors
2 days agoNortheastern Illinois University has announced this year’s Bernard J. Brommel Distinguished Research Professor award. Find out who won the award, which four professors co-wrote a textbook,…
Chicago Film Society announces Summer 2017 movie screening schedule
3 days agoThe Chicago Film Society has announced the 2017 schedule of movies that will be screened on Northeastern Illinois University’s Main Campus. “Thunder Road” will open…
Four faculty members co-author Linguistics textbook
4 days agoFour members of the Northeastern Illinois University Department of Linguistics—Professor Shahrzad Mahootian, Professor Judith Kaplan-Weinger, Assistant Professor Lewis Gebhardt and Professor Richard Hallett—have co-authored a…