Mental Health and Wellness Services for Students
Reaching your academic goals can be difficult if you are suffering from emotional distress, relationship difficulties and other concerns. Counseling and therapy can enable you to understand and deal with those issues. It can free you to make clearer and healthier decisions.
You can use counseling to explore personal problems in your life such as:
- Suicidal thoughts
- Sexual assault and abuse
- Grief and loss
- Relationship concerns
- and many other difficulties that may cause stress and disrupt your life.
Explore the information on this site to learn more about:
- how counseling might help you
- how to refer someone else to a counselor
- how to find help off-campus
Use the links on the left for other services offered on campus.
Counseling services are available to currently registered NEIU students. We provide short-term treatment and the number of individual or couples therapy sessions are determined in collaboration with the therapist. Group counseling services are available to Northeastern students without session limits. Discuss details of this policy with your counselor.
To speak with a counselor here on campus, call NEIU's Counseling Services (773) 442-4650 to make an appointment or visit us in room D-024 on the Main Campus.
Our office hours are Monday through Thursday: 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m; Friday 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
For Spring 2017, we will also be providing outreach and consultation to students, faculy, and staff at El Centro. Visit us in the Welcome Center on Mondays between 1:00 - 5:00 p.m.; Tuesdays between 2:00 - 5:00 p.m. No appointment is necessary at El Centro and all services are provided on a walk-in basis.
For immediate assistance...
- Call NEIU's Counseling Services (773) 442-4650 and ask to speak to a counselor. After hours, press "2" for emergency intervention and consultation to the campus community.
- Call Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center Crisis Line (773) 296-5380.
- Call 911.
- Call or visit your local hospital emergency room. The closest hospital to NEIU's Main Campus is Swedish Covenant Hospital at the corner of Foster and California Avenues. Their ER is located at 2739 W. Foster Avenue. (773) 878-8200.
- Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255), en Español 1-888-628-9454.
Ronald Williams Library to partner with Chicago Metro History Fair for research coaching event
1 day agoLibrarians from Northeastern’s Ronald Williams Library will welcome students from area high schools for a "Research-Coaching-Palooza" in partnership with the Chicago Metro History Fair. On Feb.…
Noteworthy at Northeastern: Spring semester is underway
Friday, January 13, 2017The first week of classes is almost done, and we’re already looking ahead to a special guest speaker next week for the Rev. Dr. Martin…
Rainbow PUSH senior advisor Janette Wilson to deliver MLK tribute event speech
Tuesday, January 10, 2017Attorney, reverend and Rainbow PUSH Coalition senior advisor Janette Wilson will visit Northeastern Illinois University on Jan. 17 as the keynote speaker of the Rev.…