The Department of Counselor Education has been one of the leading M.A. in Counseling programs in preparing counselors for over thirty-five years. Students are attracted to our counseling program because it is a terminal degree leading to a career in counseling with a foundation that is both theoretical and applied. Our faculty models this orientation with scholarly activities and a strong emphasis in the applied, since most have come to the faculty after years of work in the field and continuing work as professional counselors and psychologists providing services to children, youth, and adults in individual, couples, and family counseling.
Northeastern's M.A. in Counseling Programs
- Clinical Mental Health Counseling 60 graduate credit hours
- Family Counseling 60 graduate credit hours
- Rehabilitation Counseling 48 graduate credit hours
- School Counseling 48 graduate credit hours (with teacher licensure)
OR 57 graduate credit hours (without licensure)
Career Opportunities in Counseling
The United States Department of Labor, in its Occupational Outlook Handbook, reports that "The job outlook for mental health counselors is expected to grow by thirty-seven percent through 2020, much faster than in all other occupations. Growth is expected as the overall population grows, and as insurance companies increasingly provide for reimbursement as a less costly alternative to psychologists and psychiatrists."
Our alumni are employed as crisis counselors, executive directors of community agencies, mental health therapists, outreach workers, and substance abuse and human services counselors. Our graduates work in veteran’s administration offices, private insurance and government agencies, and case management firms. Our school counseling alumni have become successful school counselors, administrators and leaders at all K-12 levels of education throughout Chicago and the surrounding suburbs. Many of our alumni work in private practice after having worked in various organizations and developing areas of expertise. A number of our graduates have gone on to complete their Ph.D. programs.
Counselor Education is considered an evening program, with courses meeting once a week, and class times starting in the late afternoon and early evening hours. Our courses are held at Northeastern’s main campus. Our courses are listed as:
- Lecture: courses meet each week on campus during the semester
- Hybrid: courses combine face-to-face sessions with online sessions
- Online: courses are held online during the semester
We invite you to attend an on-campus Information Session to learn about the M.A. in Counseling programs:
- Clinical Mental Health, Family, School, and Rehabilitation programs will be discussed.
- Application, admission, and retention requirements will be reviewed.
- Faculty advisors will be available to answer questions.
- Complete application folders will be distributed.
- All sessions meet from 6:30-8:00 pm.
- All sessions are held on Fridays. No need to RSVP.
- Dates in 2016: November 11
Dates in 2017: January 20; April 21; and June 9
Location: Lech Walesa Hall, 3601 West Bryn Mawr Avenue, Chicago, IL 60625; Room LWH 1001 (1st floor lecture hall)
- For further information, contact the Department at 773-442-5550 or email at email@example.com.
Community and Professional Education announces additional spring offerings
7 days agoNortheastern Illinois University's Office of Community and Professional Education (CAPE) has added the following non-credit programs this spring. Click titles for complete details or search all CAPE and Campus Recreation offerings. CAPE…
Noteworthy at Northeastern: Break time
7 days agoWhile Northeastern Illinois University is shutting down for Spring Break, there are plans in the works for all kinds of educational and cultural events later…
John St. Augustine, Bill Kurtis to deliver Green Business Conference keynote
7 days agoBest-selling author, producer and broadcaster John St. Augustine and legendary broadcaster Bill Kurtis will deliver the keynote address during the Green Business Conference at Northeastern…