NEIU offers temporary handicapped parking permits for the convenience of students, on a case-by-case basis.
Below is the procedure for determining eligibility and distributing temporary handicapped parking permits for students.
- If desiring temporary handicapped parking on campus, students will present the completed certification form to Student Health and Counseling Services (SHCS) in E 051.
- A member of the nursing staff of SHCS will meet with the student and evaluate the validity of the request.
- If the request is deemed valid, the student will be issued a temporary parking placard, which will allow the student to use marked handicapped parking spaces for a maximum of three weeks.
- Should a student need longer-term handicapped parking, they should pursue an official parking placard through the Illinois Secretary of State’s office.
- All certification paperwork is considered to be official medical record. Student certifications will be kept with a student’s medical file in Student Health Services Office.
Faculty and staff requesting handicapped parking must get a placard from the Secretary of State office and present it to the Parking Office.