Writing Tutors in the Learning Success Center are undergraduate students and Graduate Assistants who assist NEIU students with their writing. Writing Tutors work with students at any stage of their writing process on any of their academic and non-academic writing.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide one-on-one tutoring to undergraduate and graduate students
- Attend tutor training meetings (required)
- Work on specials projects from time to time
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Ability to convey the writing process and writing strategies to students
- Ability to communicate clearly orally and in writing
Desired Personality Traits
- Flexible, helpful, patient
- Professional in being on-time, dressing appropriately, and keeping appointments
- Paid weekly training on Tuesdays, 3-4 p.m.
- Professional development opportunities
Application Process for Graduate Assistant Writing Tutors
Graduate Assistant writing tutors who are typically enrolled in the graduate programs of TESL or Linguistics. Calls for those positions are sent out by the departments during the second half of the fall and/or spring semesters. If you have further questions, contact Jessie Miller, Retention and Student Success Coordinator, at email@example.com.
Application Process for Peer Writing Tutors
HOW TO QUALIFY
Undergraduate student applicants must be at least a college sophomore, maintain a 3.0 GPA, and have completed ENGL 101 and ENGL 102. In addition, they must meet NEIU Office of Student Employment requirements for student aides:
- Must be enrolled in at least 6 credit hours
- Must be able to complete Form I-9 before the beginning of the semester
- Must meet all other requirements stipulated by The Office of Student Employment, such as attending Student Employment Orientation and providing tax forms and NEIU schedule and account information
HOW TO APPLY
To apply for a peer writing tutoring position:
- Fill out the Writing Tutor Application Form
- Request a letter of recommendation (or email recommendation) from a faculty member, preferably one familiar with your writing
- Provide a PDF of your unofficial transcripts from all institutions of higher education you have attended
- Provide a copy of your resume or employment history
- Provide a sample of your academic writing
All application material listed above must be sent to Jessie Miller, Retention and Student Success Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.