Nuevas Voces at NEIU
A 10-Minute Playwriting Contest and Festival
at Northeastern Illinois University
2018-2019 Festival Information
Winning plays to be performed at NEIU's Stage Center Theatre and directed by Nathon Santana.
- Monday, Nov. 5, 2018, at 5 p.m.
Winners Announced by:
- Nov. 30, 2018
- Jan. 25, 2019, at 6:30 p.m.
- Jan. 25, 2019, at 7:30 p.m.
- Jan. 26, 2019 at 2 p.m.
- Jan. 26, 2019, at 7:30 p.m.
- High school students in Illinois
- Current college students in Illinois ages 17-28 (full- or part-time)
- NEIU and greater community (non-students or students ages 29 and older)
A $15 registration fee will be applied unless you are enrolled in Jim Blair's non-credit Playwriting Workshop or NEIU's fall semester course Playwriting.
Then, email your submission to Christie Miller, email@example.com, or see instructions for submitting printed plays below. Please submit plays as a PDF with a separate cover page with your name, phone number and email. We will remove the cover and assign each play a number. Please do not include your name anywhere else but on your cover page. Please use 12 point font and double space between speakers. The cast may not exceed five actors. Make sure you time your play so that it is 10 minutes or less. Longer plays cannot be considered for performance. Please submit translations if any of your dialogue is in a language other than English. One submission per playwright.
Printed Submissions (if you are not submitting by email):
- Three bound copies of each submission are required (a staple is considered a binding).
- The author’s name must NOT appear on any of the pages.
- Pages should be numbered.
- An accompanying cover page (not numbered) should include the playwright’s name, phone number and email.
Please mail or drop off submissions to:
Office of Cultural Events at NEIU
5500 North St. Louis Avenue, CBM 125
Chicago, IL 60625
Please note: Submissions must arrive by Nov. 5, 2018 at 5:00 p.m.
The Nuevas Voces at NEIU 10-Minute Playwriting Contest and Festival will will consider only original work. Plays submitted which are based on any other published work, including but not limited to novels, short stories, films, teleplays, other theatrical scripts, etc., unless also written by the submitting author(s), are ineligible. Judges will make final production decisions based on the quality of the work and practicality of production, and such decisions shall be final.
Sarah J Fabian, CMT Assistant Professor & Managing Artistic Director of Stage Center THeatre
Adam Goldstein, CMT Assistant Professor
Nathon Santana, Chicago-based Director & Teatro Vista Ensemble Member
Winners will be announced by Nov. 30, 2018!