Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds
Janitorial, Facilities Management
In this role you will
Manages all University functions and accounts related to Buildings and Grounds with the purpose of maintenance and operational repair of University Facilities. Provides leadership to direct reports, who in turn oversee the work of a staff totaling approximately 45 employees. Plans, budgets and negotiates services to provide needed resources, system improvements and necessary repairs for effective future operations with consideration to changing University needs.
To be successful in this role, qualified applicants will have
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AS OUTLINED IN THE CLASSIFICATION SPECIFICATION; CREDENTIALS TO BE VERIFIED BY PLACEMENT OFFICER
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, facilities management, construction management, architecture, or a closely related field.
- Three (3) years (36 months) of work experience in the construction, maintenance, or engineering fields.
- Additional Two (2) years (24 months) of supervisory work experience in the construction, maintenance, or engineering fields.
- Six years of appropriate facilities management supervisory experience, including a demonstrated knowledge of work control, inventory control, and equipment maintenance techniques; and a demonstrated familiarity with appropriate regulatory and safety requirement
- Utilizes various program sources to administer the university's janitorial, grounds and building maintenance, snow and ice removal, trash removal, recycling and general labor service programs. Develops budgets, manages expenditures and adjusts functions and the number of employees to operate within budgetary limits. Justifies special requests for funding, as required.
- Provides management reports, analyses, data and status reports for various administrative purposes. Establishes and maintains effective training and development programs.
- Plans, coordinates and adjusts activities in accordance with broad administrative policies to accommodate academic programs, special events, building occupants and seasonal requirements. Formulates, initiates and interprets policies that have a University-wide impact and affect the recruitment and retention of students.
- Represents the Executive Director regarding buildings and ground issues with deans, department heads, faculty, staff and students, various campus committees, and designated city and state agencies.
- Coordinates and directs the activities of the Janitorial department, Grounds Maintenance department, in-house skilled craftsmen and outside contractors providing general building repairs and maintenance services.
- Administers the University's waste removal and recycling programs and represents the University with various city and state agencies for compliance as well as financial grant matters.
- Develops bid specifications and negotiates contracts for obtaining specialized services to supplement the capabilities of the University's employees.
- Coordinates technical matters with and receives assistance from the professional staff of the Facilities Planning & Construction and the Heating Plant Departments. Provides appropriate personnel, as required, to assist those departments with their maintenance and minor construction projects.
(This position requires a background check.)
Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. (Hours may vary depending on departmental needs)
In order to be considered for employment by Northeastern Illinois University (NEIU), you must submit the following:
- Employment Application (Original initials and signatures are required for each position applied. Electronic initials and signatures are not acceptable.)
- Affirmative Action Form
- Cover letter
- Official Transcript(s)
If you have any questions, please email us at CS-Employment@neiu.edu.
Please visit the State of Illinois University Civil Service website for general information. NEIU Employment Services reserves the right not to consider any application on the basis of incomplete information/documents, delay in submission, and disqualifications under the rules of State Universities Civil Service System. Employment Services, however, assures that your application will be duly reviewed on the basis of the classification(s) in which you qualify and, accordingly, will inform you of their decision.
A current application, affirmative action form, statement of annuitant status form, official transcript(s), resume and cover letter must be submitted by the close of business September 26, 2022
Northeastern Illinois University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and invites applications from Women, Minorities, Veterans and Persons with Disabilities, as well as Other Qualified Individuals. Northeastern Illinois University positions are contingent upon the University's receipt of its State of Illinois appropriation.