Office Support Assistant
Nontraditional Degree Programs
In this role you will
Be responsible for performing word processing and typing and providing clerical/administrative and project assistance necessary for administration of NEIU's Nontraditional Degree Programs, under direction of designated supervisor.
To be successful in this role, qualified applicants will have
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AS OUTLINED IN THE CLASSIFICATION SPECIFICATION; CREDENTIALS TO BE VERIFIED BY PLACEMENT OFFICER
- High school graduation or equivalent.
- Any one or any combination of the following, totaling one (1) year and six (6) months of experience in the categories below:
- work experience performing office/clerical activities, including use of computer systems
- college or university course work in any curriculum
- twelve (12) semester hours = six (6) months
- twenty-four (24) semester hours = twelve (12) months
- thirty-six (36) semester hours = eighteen (18) months
- Types and produces various documents including correspondence, forms, reports, student publications, student records and other materials.
- Assists in monitoring departmental email.
- Assists in updating, editing of departmental website. Implements changes to NDP webpages.
- Monitors departmental Facebook page and other social media.
- Coordinates new student admission mailings, document processing and record construction.
- Maintains student records. Distributes, tracks and files student records and documents.
- Interfaces with university admissions office as needed.
- Supervises maintenance of comprehensive records that may contain confidential materials.
- Monitors supplies of student record and administrative forms.
- Coordinates with advisors on student admission issues.
- Coordinates mailings of student newsletters, surveys, & administrative forms.
- Arranges advising appointments.
- Exercises judgment in screening and referring calls and visitors to other staff as required; handles routine problems, inquiries and requests.
- Greets visitors and responds to phone calls.
- Disseminates information requiring knowledge of university regulations and operations and Nontraditional Degree Programs procedures.
- Answers student questions about program curricula and requirements.
- Schedules staff appointments, registers students for workshops and other Nontraditional Degree Program functions.
- Plans, organizes, assigns and reviews the work of the unit's student staff and participates in their training, and evaluation.
- Learns the way NDP's two programs (B.A. in Interdisciplinary Studies and University Without Walls) work and supports advisors in each as needed.
- Works with NDP Director on special projects regarding issues such as student retention, marketing, research information and comparable programs.
- Learns the fundamentals of Prior Learning Assessment to help students understand what it means to gain credit through experiential learning.
(This position requires a background check.)
Comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, and vision benefits, sick and vacation days, and participation in the State Universities Retirement System. This is a full-time (28 hours/week) continuing position.
In order to be considered for employment by Northeastern Illinois University (NEIU), you must submit the following:
- Employment Application (Original initials and signatures are required for each position applied. Electronic initials and signatures are not acceptable.)
- Affirmative Action Form
- Cover letter
- Official transcript(s)
A current application, affirmative action form, statement of annuitant status form, official transcript(s), resume and cover letter must be submitted by the close of business 4/29/2022.
If you have any questions, please email us at CS-Employment@neiu.edu.
Please visit the State of Illinois University Civil Service website for general information. NEIU Employment Services reserves the right not to consider any application on the basis of incomplete information/documents, delay in submission, and disqualifications under the rules of State Universities Civil Service System. Employment Services, however, assures that your application will be duly reviewed on the basis of the classification(s) in which you qualify and, accordingly, will inform you of their decision.
Northeastern Illinois University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and invites applications from Women, Minorities, Veterans and Persons with Disabilities, as well as Other Qualified Individuals. Northeastern Illinois University positions are contingent upon the University's receipt of its State of Illinois appropriation.