Network III/Security Engineer
University Technology Services (UTS)
In this role you will
Under the direction of the Information Security Officer, this position is responsible for a range of functional and technical activities to improve the overall security of the university’s IT environment. The Security Engineer’s role is to ensure safe IT implementation and management to secure the operation of the university’s IT systems, servers and network infrastructure.
To be successful in this role, qualified applicants will have
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AS OUTLINED IN THE CLASSIFICATION SPECIFICATION
CREDENTIALS TO BE VERIFIED BY PLACEMENT OFFICER
- Any one or any combination of the following that totals three academic years:
- college/vocational/technical training that included six hours in network infrastructure/architecture
- work experience relating to network infrastructure/architecture, remote access systems, Internet connectivity and support services
- 4 additional years of work experience relating to network infrastructure/architecture, remote access systems, and Internet connectivity and support services
- Master’s degree in related technical field or general managerial field
- Associate or bachelor’s degree (bachelors preferred) with a major in cybersecurity, information systems, system administration or in a closely related field.
- Good understanding with three to four years of hands-on experience in Windows and Linux system configuration and administration, Active Directory, Azure, security scripting, network configuration and network device administration, TCP-IP protocols.
- At least two years of hands-on experience implementing and managing security solutions or managing systems.
- A cyber security certification such as CISSP, CEH, SSCP or GSEC would be plus
- Working knowledge of NIST and ISO 27001 frameworks would be plus
- Familiarity with penetration testing and tools
"H-1B visa sponsorship for qualified applicants will be considered on a case-by-case basis."
- Working alongside various teams in the IT department, the security engineer will assist in the development of technical policies, operating procedures and guidelines for secure administration of endpoints, networks and applications. The Security Engineer will assist in the review and selection of security solutions and will be responsible for deploying, upgrading and managing all security solutions and tools for vulnerability scanning and auditing, firewall management, web application security, and endpoint threat detection and response. The Security Engineer will assist in the design and implementation of the cybersecurity incident management and disaster recovery plans and will carry out technical security assessments and controls gap analysis. The Security Engineer will liaise with various teams to carry out vulnerability remediation’s and issues identified from vulnerability scans and penetration testing.
- The Security Engineer will assist in identifying and understanding the security footprint of the university’s IT infrastructure, identify potential attack and compromise pathways and collaborate with various teams to reduce risks. The Security Engineer will assist in the investigations of threats and security incidents and carry out other duties as assigned.
- The Security Engineer will be able to demonstrate good technical security understanding, be a team player, have attention for detail, be very organized, and be able to present and explain technical matters in non-technical language to non-technical audiences. The Security Engineer will maintain current knowledge of security trends and issues and will be able to translate security practices.
(This position requires a background check.)
Comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, and vision benefits, sick and vacation days, and participation in the State Universities Retirement System. This is a full-time, continuing position.
Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. (Hours may vary depending on departmental needs)
In order to be considered for employment by Northeastern Illinois University (NEIU), you must submit the following:
- Employment Application (Original initials and signatures are required for each position applied. Electronic initials and signatures are not acceptable.)
- Affirmative Action Form
- Cover letter
- Official transcript(s)
Application Deadline: A current application, affirmative action form, statement of annuitant status form, official transcript(s), resume and cover letter must be submitted by the close of business 7/15/2022.
If you have any questions, please email us at CS-Employment@neiu.edu.
Please visit the State of Illinois University Civil Service website for general information. NEIU Employment Services reserves the right not to consider any application on the basis of incomplete information/documents, delay in submission, and disqualifications under the rules of State Universities Civil Service System. Employment Services, however, assures that your application will be duly reviewed on the basis of the classification(s) in which you qualify and, accordingly, will inform you of their decision.
Northeastern Illinois University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and invites applications from Women, Minorities, Veterans and Persons with Disabilities, as well as Other Qualified Individuals. Northeastern Illinois University positions are contingent upon the University's receipt of its State of Illinois appropriation.