Lead Labor and Employee Relations Manager
The Office of Human Resources
PRIMARY JOB FUNCTION SUMMARY:
The Lead Labor and Employee Relations Manager plans, negotiates and administers labor contracts for five collective bargaining units covering 270+ student employees, 650+ staff, 550+ faculty with non-faculty collective bargaining agreements, grievance administration, support and training of administration and professional staff, and development of policies and procedures related to employee and labor relations. This position also consults with staff regarding employee engagement, performance issues, and
The duties performed in this role are professional, sensitive, and related to public relations. Extreme judgment is required for confidential employee matters, union contract negotiations, grievance administration, and discipline. The successful candidate must be able to shift priorities quickly. Problem resolution, research/investigation, analytical, and persuasive skills are vital in this role.
- Bachelor's Degree in a field related to labor relations or human resources.
- A minimum of 6 years of employee relations and progressively more responsible experience working in a complex labor relations environment.
- A minimum of 3 years' experience administering collective bargaining agreements, including contract interpretation and grievance processing, in a complex labor relations environment.
- A minimum of 3 years' experience in developing employee training programs, administering performance management, including coaching and counseling supervisors on discipline steps up to and including the termination/discharge process, for a significant case load.
- Must have the ability to use Microsoft Office Outlook, Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint.
- Advanced degree in a related field (J.D. included).
- Knowledge of university or public labor organization contracts.
- Experience in higher education human resources.
- Experience in higher education labor relations.
About Northeastern Illinois University:
Founded in 1867, Northeastern Illinois University enrolls about 7,200 students through the College of Arts and Sciences, the Daniel L. Goodwin College of Education, the College of Business and Management and the College of Graduate Studies and Research. Northeastern is regarded as the most diverse public comprehensive university in the Midwest and is designated by the U.S. Department of Education as a Hispanic-Serving Institution and Minority-Serving Institution. Northeastern offers more than 40 undergraduate degree and certificate programs and more than 50 graduate degree, certificate, licensure and endorsement programs.
Northeastern’s Main Campus is located on 67 acres in a residential area on the Northwest Side of Chicago with additional locations in the metropolitan area: the Jacob H. Carruthers Center for Inner City Studies and El Centro. Northeastern also is a founding member of the University Center of Lake County consortium campus in suburban Lake County, north of Chicago
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. Comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, and vision benefits, sick and vacation days, and participation in the State Universities Retirement System. This is a full-time, continuing position.
(Each position requires a background check.)
In order to be considered for the HR Lead, Employee, Labor Relations and Training position by Northeastern Illinois University, you must submit the following online forms (see links below) and send the remaining documents within one PDF document to firstname.lastname@example.org
- A letter of interest addressing your qualifications for this position;
- Current Curriculum Vitae
- Three (3) professional references
- Writing Sample representing a personally authored grievance response or performance letter (identifiable information redacted)
- Writing Sample representing personally authored contract language or analysis of contract language (identifiable information redacted)
- Employment Application
- Statement of Annuitant Status
- Affirmative Action Form
Copies of unofficial transcripts are accepted; however, official transcripts for all earned degrees will be required of candidates selected for final interviews.
Review of applications begins immediately and continues until the position is filled.
Northeastern Illinois University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and invites applications from women, minorities, veterans and persons with disabilities, as well as other qualified individuals. Northeastern Illinois University’s positions are contingent upon the University’s receipt of its State of Illinois appropriations.