Position Classification: Human Resource Manager (Recruitment and Employment)
Working Title: Staff Recruitment Specialist
Department: Office of Human Resources
In this role you will:
The Human Resources Manager position will serve as a key member of the HR Recruitment Team working closely with HR stakeholders to provide high quality solutions in the recruitment areas for faculty, staff and for civil service positions. Successful execution of this role will support NEIU’s goals for recruitment and talent acquisition as outlined by the Office of Human Resources.
This position handles duties related to recruitment, onboarding, desk audits, evaluations, verification and qualifications of applicants, examinations as well as employment transactions such a transfers, promotions, reemployments, demotions, placements, reassignments, separations, staff and faculty recruitment activities.
Reporting to the HR Lead for Recruitment and Employment, the incumbent will:
- Provide assistance and counsel to hiring managers on recruiting activities for NEIU including staff and faculty positions.
- Prepare job descriptions, recruitment advertising & postings that utilize the latest recruitment marketing concepts including search engine optimization.
- Review and assess applicant qualifications to determine eligibility for civil service examinations.
- Qualify applicants and select top talent with a focus on the quality of hires.
- Conducts Civil Service Job Audits, layoffs, and seniority calculations.
- Create and maintain registers in accordance with civil service rules and procedures.
- In coordination with HR Leads, ensures that all salary ranges are current and accurate on the SUCSS website and all NEIU postings.
- Monitor the 900-hour work requirements by all Extra Help employees by reporting on current status, and communicating with employees and Supervisors.
- Review and maintain employment registers, schedules, administers and scores civil service testing.
- Oversee the sourcing and placement of candidates to ensure alignment with all collective bargaining agreements and civil service system requirements to provide a best in class experience.
- May assist with training of NEIU faculty, staff and HR staff on recruitment related job duties, procedures and processes.
- Work closely with selection committees and provides recruitment expertise and support.
- Cultivate a high performance team that continuously strives to improve, enhance and strengthen the candidate experience and hiring manager satisfaction.
- Responsible for effectiveness and quality of the data contained in the applicant tracking systems and provides updates and information as needed.
- Provide assistance to NEIU managers regarding job descriptions and job postings as well as updates and information on the status of job postings and applicant activity.
- Compose employment related correspondence and conduct exit interviews.
- Participate in SUCSS external audits and utilizes reporting tools as required.
- Work in the BANNER system to complete HR transactions and research employee data.
- Prepare reports and other correspondence as needed and directed by HR Lead and HR Executive Director of Human Resources.
- Conduct background and reference checks according to process procedures and deadlines.
- Work closely with Illinois State Civil Service staff and systems and provides recommendations to HR Staff and NEIU leadership as appropriate.
- Distribute new hire paperwork to employees and assists with processing and transactions.
- Schedule and participate in new hire orientations.
To be successful in this role, qualified applicants will have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resource Administration, Business Administration, or closely related field,
- Four (4) years of HR experience required, or equivalent combination or education and experience in area of recruitment
- Demonstrated experience in full-life cycle recruiting including; staffing requirement evaluation, sourcing, screening, and on-boarding
- Knowledge of employment laws and requirement
- Preferred: Relevant HR experience in a public university setting
- Preferred: Experience using Applicants Tracking Systems and reporting tools
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience with creating recruitment plans and strategies, drafting job postings and job descriptions, screening, testing, interviewing, selecting and onboarding job candidates.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize workload to ensure deadlines are met.
- Knowledge of state and federal employment laws and civil service regulations that impact recruitment and hiring in a public university setting.
- Must be both strategic and tactical.
- Strong communication skills and ability to interact with a variety of employees, staff and faculty in the NEIU community in both writing and in a face to face interactions, analytical skills and ability to interpret and communicate data.
- Customer service mentality and willingness to meet or exceed the needs of customers
- Technology skills and some experience using the Microsoft suite of products
- Able to use HRIS systems and other related reports and provide necessary updates on recruitment activities.
- Strong attention to detail and strong organizational and time management skills.
Salary commensurate with experience
8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday
(Hours may vary depending on departmental needs)
In order to be considered for employment by Northeastern Illinois University (NEIU), you must submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org by Sept. 10, 2021:
- Employment Application (Original initials and signatures are required for each position applied. Electronic initials and signatures are not acceptable.)
- Affirmative Action Form
- Cover letter
- Official transcript(s)
Above you can download and print a copy of the Employment Application. You must complete, sign and date the application with official transcripts, resume and cover letter to email@example.com by the application deadline. A new application and annuitant form are required for each position applied.
If you have any questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please visit the State of Illinois University Civil Service website for general information. NEIU Employment Services reserves the right not to consider any application on the basis of incomplete information/documents, delay in submission, and disqualifications under the rules of State Universities Civil Service System. Employment Services, however, assures that your application will be duly reviewed on the basis of the classification(s) in which you qualify and, accordingly, will inform you of their decision.
A current application, affirmative action form, statement of annuitant status form, official transcript(s), resume and cover letter must be submitted by the close of business Sept. 10, 2021.
Northeastern Illinois University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and invites applications from Women, Minorities, Veterans and Persons with Disabilities, as well as Other Qualified Individuals. Northeastern Illinois University positions are contingent upon the University's receipt of its State of Illinois appropriation.