Read this before taking the online placement exam.
- The exam is offered in Chinese, English (ESL), French and Spanish.
- For languages without online exams, contact the instructor for appropriate placement.
- Only the first (earliest) exam result will be used for course placement purposes, not repeated exam attempts.
- Allow one to two business days for the test scores to be processed before attempting to enroll. If you need immediate permission to enroll, contact Tom Griffin (TE-Griffiin@neiu.edu) or Jeanette Hernandez (J-Hernandez-Kalin@neiu.edu).
- Students without an NEIU Student ID number can take the exam in-person at the Language Learning Lab (Room LIB- 451) in the Ronald Williams Library.
- When prompted, carefully enter your name and nine-digit Student ID number.
- At the end of the test, print the results page for your records especially if you need to claim extra credit.
- To reprint copies of your privious test results, re-enter the test website, select the language option, go to the survey form and fill out the first four fields of the survey with the following information exactly as originally typed:
- Last name
- First name
- Student ID number
- E-mail address
Click the "Resume" button and the original test result will be displayed for printing.
For more information, contact Tom Griffin in the Language Learning Lab at (773) 442-4752.
Placement Exam Score Tables
Spanish Exam Score Course Level
Below 234 101
Above 445 209, 225, 220, 224
French Exam Score Course Level
311–-445 Any 200- level course
445 Any 300- level course
Note: Students who score above 550 on the Spanish placement exam are encouraged to seek additional placement advisement from Professor Lucía Lombardi, at L-Lombardi@neiu.edu or (773) 442-4756.