Position Classification: Deputy Director
Working Title: HR LEAD, Recruitment and Employment
Department: Office of Human Resources
This senior level HR Lead position will serve as a key member of the HR Team working closely with University stakeholders and cross functional teams to provide high quality solutions in the recruitment and onboarding of all faculty and staff.
In this role you will:
- Oversee and monitor the recruitment activities of the team for timeliness, service and quality of recruitment and selection of candidates.
- Responsible for administration and continuous improvement of HR systems to help NEIU increase efficiency and effectiveness of processes in a cost-effective manner.
- Work closely with HR staff members on recruitment related activities.
- Work closely with selection committees and serves as a resource for NEIU.
- Act as a subject matter expert for recruitment and talent acquisition policy implementation and management in the Office of Human Resources.
- Manage the recruitment staff members and provide guidance.
- Work closely with HR Staff members and with NEIU leadership across campus community to provide counsel on the classification of civil service system employees.
- Work closely with HR team to ensure that all onboarding activities including background checks, new hire paperwork, etc. have been completed on time and accurately.
- Prepare offer letters for A&P staff.
- Work closely with Illinois State Civil Service System office and provides recommendations to HR Staff and NEIU leadership as appropriate. Monitor adherence to internal policies, Civil Service System regulations, bargaining agreements and all other employment related hiring practices.
- Perform highly specialized tasks for the purpose of maintaining data associated with the hiring, rehiring and change of status documents for all faculty (UPI members and adjuncts), and all staff.
- Ensure the accuracy and processing of all employee and faculty information and data for purposes of monitoring contracts, one-time payments, overloads, etc.
To be successful in this role, qualified applicants will have:
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AS OUTLINED IN THE CLASSIFICATION SPECIFICATION
- Eleven (11) years of progressively responsible management work experience in a private or governmental organization
- Eight (8) years in the area of designated specialization required by the position
- Three (3) years of supervising the work of a professional staff or process with the designated specialization
- Bachelor degree may be substituted for the above (3) years non-specialized experience requirement
- Master’s degree may be substituted for one (1) year specialized work experience
- Bachelor’s degree, typically in Human Resources or related field from an appropriately accredited institution, three (3) years in a supervisory role; or an equivalent combination of education and experience in the area of HR
- Comfortable with technology and ability to lead change.
- Demonstrated experience in the supervision of staff, strong interpersonal and communication skills, and the ability to interact positively with internal customers
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, changing environment, and deal with ambiguity-change agent.
- Ability to act in a professional manner and use appropriate judgement with sensitive, confidential issues.
- Knowledge of university or public labor organizations.
- Experience in higher education human resources.
Knowledge, Skills, and Competencies:
- Thorough knowledge of modern management principles.
- Thorough knowledge of staff utilization and motivation.
- Ability to plan and manage the work of subordinate supervisors and staff.
- Ability to formulate, recommend, and implement unit administrative policies and procedures.
- Ability to develop, establish, and maintain effective working relationships with the public, private, and governmental offices and agencies.
- Ability to develop operational and program objectives within the framework of the unit’s mandated function.
- Working experience in recruitment strategies, drafting job postings, job advertisements, screening candidates, interviewing and selection of candidates.
- Knowledge of state and federal employment laws and civil service regulations that impact recruitment and hiring.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to interpret and communicate data
- Demonstrated experience in sound decision-making and problem solving.
- Experience with Microsoft Suite of products and ability to work with HRIS systems.
- Demonstrated, effective project management experience including attention to detail and strong organizational and time management skills.
- Experience communicating, effectively, facilitating meetings, development and presenting technical information to variety of people and at all levels of the NEIU community.
- Experience analyzing and interpreting HR laws, regulations, policies, and practice.
- Relevant HR experience in a public university setting.
Commensurate with experience
Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Hours may vary depending on departmental needs)
In order to be considered for employment by Northeastern Illinois University (NEIU), you must submit the following to email@example.com by 9/10/2021:
- Employment Application (Original initials and signatures are required for each position applied. Electronic initials and signatures are not acceptable.)
- Affirmative Action Form
- Cover letter
- Official transcript(s)
If you have any questions, please email us at CS-Employment@neiu.edu. Please visit the State of Illinois University Civil Service website for general information. NEIU Employment Services reserves the right not to consider any application on the basis of incomplete information/documents, delay in submission, and disqualifications under the rules of State Universities Civil Service System. Employment Services, however, assures that your application will be duly reviewed on the basis of the classification(s) in which you qualify and, accordingly, will inform you of their decision.
A current application, affirmative action form, statement of annuitant status form, official transcript(s), resume and cover letter must be submitted by the close of business 9/10/2021.
Northeastern Illinois University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and invites applications from Women, Minorities, Veterans and Persons with Disabilities, as well as Other Qualified Individuals. Northeastern Illinois University positions are contingent upon the University's receipt of its State of Illinois appropriation.