Deputy Director HR Lead- HR Services
Office of Human Resources
In this role you will:
Under administrative direction, this position requires a high level of expertise in the human resources program(s) and serves in a consulting and advisory capacity to the university administrator. The incumbent is responsible for managing the Benefits, Payroll and HR Services for Northeastern Illinois University (NEIU).
The senior level HR Lead position will serve as key member of the HR Team working closely with HR stakeholders and cross functional teams to provide high quality solutions in administration, and oversight for all payroll and benefits functions, leaves of absence, workers compensation, and other processing functions elated to human resource services. Successful execution of this role will drive the transformation and innovation of the HR department designed to support NEIU’s goals for providing top-notch human resource services. The HR Lead- HR Services position will manage and provide supervision to the HR Services team members.
To be successful in this role, qualified applicants will have:
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AS OUTLINED IN THE CLASSIFICATION SPECIFICATION
- Eleven (11) years of progressively responsible management work experience in a private or governmental organization
- Eight (8) years in the area of designated specialization required by the position
- Three (3) years of supervising the work of a professional staff or process with the designated specialization
- Bachelor degree may be substituted for the above (3) years non-specialized experience requirement
- Master’s degree may be substituted for one (1) year specialized work experience
- Bachelor’s degree, typically in Human Resources or related field from an appropriately accredited institution and 5 years of HR experience required, including 3 years in supervisory role; or equivalent combination or education and experience in area of HR Service. Experience in Human Resources HR Call Center experience is a plus.
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) or master’s degree in related field.
- Demonstrated experience in the supervision of staff, strong interpersonal and communications skills, and the ability to interact positively with internal customers.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, changing environment, and deal with ambiguity-change agent.
- Ability to act in a professional manner and use appropriate judgement and sensitive, confidential issues.
- Knowledge of university or public labor organizations.
- Experience in higher education human resources.
(This position requires a background check.)
Knowledge, Skills, and Competencies:
- Thorough knowledge of modern management principles.
- Thorough knowledge of staff utilization and motivation.
- Ability to plan and manage the work of subordinate supervisors and staff.
- Ability to formulate, recommend, and implement unit administrative policies and procedures.
- Ability to develop, establish, and maintain effective working relationships with the public, private, and governmental offices and agencies.
- Ability to develop operational and program objectives within the framework of the unit’s mandated function.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to interpret and communicate data.
- Demonstrated experience in sound decision-making and problem solving.
- Strong experience in Microsoft Suite of products and ability to work with HRIS Systems.
- Demonstrated, effective project management experience including attention to detail and strong organizational and time management skills.
- Prior experience in service oriented position or call center environment preferred.
- Experience communicating, effectively, facilitating meetings, development and presenting technical information to variety of people and at all levels of the NEIU community.
- Experience analyzing and interpreting HR laws, regulations, policies, and practice.
- Highly organized, detail oriented and able to meet deadlines in a multi-task, fast-paced environment.
- Project management skills that range from conception to planning, implementation and evaluation of projects,
- Ability to display sensitivity, tact and responsiveness in various situations and maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills to resolve issues and to address complaints.
- Proven ability to use analytical data to measure performance, support decision making, develop action plans, and execute for performance improvement.
- Ability to lead a team of employees and manage daily performance.
Commensurate with experience
Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. (Hours may vary depending on departmental needs)
In order to be considered for employment by Northeastern Illinois University (NEIU), you must submit the following:
- Employment Application (Original initials and signatures are required for each position applied. Electronic initials and signatures are not acceptable.)
- Affirmative Action Form
- Cover letter
- Official transcript(s)
If you have any questions, please email us at CS-Employment@neiu.edu.
Please visit the State of Illinois University Civil Service website for general information. NEIU Employment Services reserves the right not to consider any application on the basis of incomplete information/documents, delay in submission, and disqualifications under the rules of State Universities Civil Service System. Employment Services, however, assures that your application will be duly reviewed on the basis of the classification(s) in which you qualify and, accordingly, will inform you of their decision.
A current application, affirmative action form, statement of annuitant status form, official transcript(s), resume and cover letter must be submitted by the close of business 4/30/2022.
Northeastern Illinois University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and invites applications from Women, Minorities, Veterans and Persons with Disabilities, as well as Other Qualified Individuals. Northeastern Illinois University positions are contingent upon the University's receipt of its State of Illinois appropriation.