In this role you will
Under the general supervision of the Director of Financial Affairs/Controller, this position is responsible for the supervision and operation of the General Accounting area of the Controller's Office. Provides general assistance in executing the various other functions within the Controller's Office.
To be successful in this role, qualified applicants will have
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AS OUTLINED IN THE CLASSIFICATION SPECIFICATION
CREDENTIALS TO BE VERIFIED BY PLACEMENT OFFICER
- Bachelor's degree with a major in accountancy (or equivalent course work)
- A total of three (3) years (36 months) of accounting experience in an administrative or supervisory capacity
- A total of three (3) years (36 months) of additional years of experience in professional level accounting work consistent with the next lower level of this series
An advanced degree in accountancy or registration as a Certified Public Accountant may be substituted for one year of professional
- Directs the General Accounting operation with full management responsibility including the development of staff and establishment of goals and objectives for an institutional accounting program. Ensures that all procedures, reports, revenues and expenditures are in conformity with established rules and guidelines in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles as well as State and Federal regulations. Maintains a thorough understanding of the Banner financial structure and financial reporting. Assists in the design and changes in accoutnign forms, reports and other schedules.
- Assists the Controller in developing, adapting or revising an accounting system that meets the needs of the University.
- Formulates accounting procedures necessary to comply with changes in government, business and university policies. Assists in the maintenance of the university chart of accounts, set up FOAPs, gives financial access and provides administrative direction in the development and/or utilization of automated information systems within the accounting process which supplies needed data to be used in making administrative decisions. Provides direction in the various account analysis and reconciliation and resolve issues.
- Prepares various journal entries and records financial transactions. Reconciles regularly various general and operating ledger accounts. Prepares and files quarterly reports and annual reports with State Comptroller and other government agencies. Supports Controller with special projects and work process improvements.
Participates in year-end audit schedules and other workpapers. Supervises, prepares and executes year end closing procedures. Prepares annual reports and financial statements for the University administration, State and Federal agencies. Other duties as assigned.
(This position requires a background check.)
$80,000 - $90,000
Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. (Hours may vary depending on departmental needs.)
In order to be considered for employment by Northeastern Illinois University (NEIU), you must submit the following:
- Employment Application (Original initials and signatures are required for each position applied. Electronic initials and signatures are not acceptable.)
- Affirmative Action Form
- Cover letter
- Official transcript(s)
If you have any questions, please email us at CS-Employment@neiu.edu.
Please visit the State of Illinois University Civil Service website for general information. NEIU Employment Services reserves the right not to consider any application on the basis of incomplete information/documents, delay in submission, and disqualifications under the rules of State Universities Civil Service System. Employment Services, however, assures that your application will be duly reviewed on the basis of the classification(s) in which you qualify and, accordingly, will inform you of their decision.
A current application, affirmative action form, statement of annuitant status form, official transcript(s), resume and cover letter must be submitted by the close of business 8/31/2022.
Northeastern Illinois University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and invites applications from Women, Minorities, Veterans and Persons with Disabilities, as well as Other Qualified Individuals. Northeastern Illinois University positions are contingent upon the University's receipt of its State of Illinois appropriation.