Student Counseling Services/Career Development
In this role you will
Under administrative supervision of the Director of Student Counseling Services, and the direction of the Director of Career Development, the business manager will be responsible for overseeing the management of two departments. Responsibilities include initiating, developing and completing secretarial, statistical, clerical, and receptionist tasks, but also includes budget analysis, programming, and offering educational presentations for both departments, as needed and appropriate.
This position will need to function with respect to the special needs of confidentiality for both units, as well as in compliance with University rules and regulations. Excellent communication and listening skills are essential to this position.
To be successful in this role, qualified applicants will have
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AS OUTLINED IN THE CLASSIFICATION SPECIFICATION; CREDENTIALS TO BE VERIFIED BY PLACEMENT OFFICER
- Bachelor’s degree in accountancy, business administration, management, or a closely related field. OR
- Three (3) years (36 months) of work experience in accounting, business administration, fiscal management, or closely related experience. OR
A combination of such education and/or work experience totaling three (3) years (36 months), as measured by the following conversion table or its proportional equivalent:
- 30 semester hours equals one (1) year (12 months)
- 60 semester hours or an Associate’s Degree equals eighteen months (18 months)
- 90 semester hours equals two (2) years (24 months)
- Perform a wide variety of office support tasks including, but not limited to, word-processing, typing, filing, duplicating documents, and information gathering. Facilitates the operation of the scheduling and database platforms (Titanium, Handshake, or similar softwares) for both units, including scheduling appointments and the coordination of meetings (in-person and/or virtual). facilitating students' completion of necessary paperwork, making room reservations, and running reports. Provides support for departmental operations for both Student Counseling Services and Career Development. Takes responsibility for the physical environment of the office suite.
- Greets clients and answers phone calls warmly and sensitively for both Student Counseling Services and Career Development. Follows office procedure regarding requests for immediate service. Provides information and directs callers or visitors to appropriate staff members. Requires good listening skills and effective communication in delicate situations.
- Maintains office supplies and equipment in co-operation with professional staff. Maintains efficient organization of inventory. Prepares budgetary documents, purchase orders, and assists Directors with budget management and analysis.
- Assists with programming for both Student Counseling Services and Career Development, including facilitating psychoeducational workshops or job fairs, and writing articles on self-care, wellness and career-related topics. Creates and maintains a variety of departmental materials, including flyers, outreach materials, signs, and posters, as well as the website. Coordinates both departments' social media presence (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or similar platforms).
- Supervises student worker(s). Trains student(s) in office functions and responsibilities, manages their work schedule, assigns work and monitors its progress. The Business Manager signs timesheets for student worker(s) and manages the hiring paperwork and number of hours worked relative to funds available.
- Attends seminars and workshops to enhance skills. Other duties as assigned by the Directors.
(This position requires a background check.)
Comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, and vision benefits, sick and vacation days, and participation in the State Universities Retirement System. This is a full-time (28 hours/week) continuing position.
Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. (Hours may vary depending on departmental needs)
In order to be considered for employment by Northeastern Illinois University (NEIU), you must submit the following:
- Employment Application (Original initials and signatures are required for each position applied. Electronic initials and signatures are not acceptable.)
- Affirmative Action Form
- Cover letter
- Official transcript(s)
Application Deadline: A current application, affirmative action form, statement of annuitant status form, official transcript(s), resume and cover letter must be submitted by the close of business 07/15/2022.
If you have any questions, please email us at CS-Employment@neiu.edu.
Please visit the State of Illinois University Civil Service website for general information. NEIU Employment Services reserves the right not to consider any application on the basis of incomplete information/documents, delay in submission, and disqualifications under the rules of State Universities Civil Service System. Employment Services, however, assures that your application will be duly reviewed on the basis of the classification(s) in which you qualify and, accordingly, will inform you of their decision.
Northeastern Illinois University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and invites applications from Women, Minorities, Veterans and Persons with Disabilities, as well as Other Qualified Individuals. Northeastern Illinois University positions are contingent upon the University's receipt of its State of Illinois appropriation.