Northeastern Illinois University (NEIU) located in Chicago, Illinois, invites applications for the position of Associate Director of Infrastructure Services. The position reports to the Chief Information Officer and is part of University Technology Services (UTS) leadership team. The Associate Director’s work location is primarily conducted from NEIU’s main campus.
In this role you will
The Associate Director leads technical staff to ensure comprehensive support services are available to the NEIU community including academic and administrative units, students, researchers and partner organizations. S/he provides oversight and expertise in technical systems, services and network architecture, and reviews requirements and standards for NEIU’s 3-campuses. Manages internal staff, external vendors and consultants to ensure excellence in the delivery of IT services that support NEIU’s mission. The Associate Director is a strategic leader and strives for continuous improvements in networking, Unified Communications, security standards/tools, Active Directory, email, operating systems, storage, backup/recovery of systems, documentation and proactive monitoring to provide 24/7 availability of services. S/he will work closely with the CIO, the UTS Leadership Team and other Team Leads in strategic planning and develops roadmaps that align and support the University. NEIU has recently invested over $4 million to upgrade the NEIU network, servers, storage, supporting software and monitoring tools.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or related field, or an equivalent combination of experience, education, and training.
- Strong communication, documentation and presentation skills.
- Seven years of progressive work experience in a related field and 2 years of relevant supervisory experience
- Experience in successfully leading large-scale projects and technical teams
- Skilled in Project Management methodology, processes, procedures, tools, and techniques.
- Ability to facilitate problem solving in and between teams.
Knowledge or Experience with the following
- Aruba network fabric for the internal data centers, campus buildings and co-location connectivity. Aruba Central experience a plus.
- Administration, configuration, and monitoring of network equipment (Servers, switches, routers, firewalls, load balancers, VPN, voice gateways)
- IP/ VLAN / DNS / DHCP configuration and support, Infoblox
- Aruba wireless administration and connectivity
- Windows Server and Active directory
- Linux Red Hat
- Enterprise storage
- Data Center infrastructure solutions: F5 (LTM, APM, ASM). Checkpoint (NGFW + IDS IPS functions), Infoblox
- Cisco IP Voice / Call Manager
- Identity Management solutions
- Google Workspace
“H-1B Visa sponsorship for qualified applicants will be considered on a case by case basis”
(This position requires a background check.)
- Manage/oversee the day-to-day operations of personnel supporting Unified communication and Networking Services.
- Project Management and oversight of all infrastructure related projects.
- Communicate with the CIO and leadership positions on potential service disruptions or security concerns in a timely manner.
- Develop urgency within the team and prioritize workloads as necessary.
- Ensure overlap in support services by identifying primary and backup technical roles.
- Provide strategic evaluations of current operations and present future roadmaps.
- Participate in the development of short and long term goals, policies and procedures for infrastructure and tactical plans to accomplish these goals.
- Hire, supervise, mentor and evaluate staff.
- Manage relationships with 3rd party vendors to include the development of RFPs, contract negotiations, purchasing, project scoping and deliverable oversight.
- Work closely with Security Officer for proper patch management, vulnerability detection, remediation and help develop and maintain continuity plans.
- Serve as Technical Architect and hands-on Administration, as needed.
- Perform other jobs duties, as assigned.
About Northeastern Illinois University
Northeaster’s Main Campus is located on 67 acres in a residential area on the Northwest Side of Chicago with additional locations in the metropolitan area: The Jacob H. Carruthers Center for Inner City Studies and El Centro. Northeastern also is a founding member of the University Center of Lake County consortium campus in suburban Lake County, north of Chicago.
Salary range is $130,000-$140,000
Comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, and vision benefits, sick and vacation days, and participation in the State Universities Retirement System. This is a full-time, continuing position.
Review of applications begins immediately and continues until position is filled.
Applicants are expected to respond based upon the entire job description. You must submit the following online forms (see links below) and send the remaining documents to AssociateDirPUC@neiu.edu with the job title in the subject line.
- A letter of interest addressing your qualifications for this position;
- Current Curriculum Vitae;
- Three (3) professional references;
- Employment Application;
- Statement of Annuitant Status; and
- Affirmative Action Form.
Copies of unofficial transcripts are accepted; however, official transcripts for all earned degrees will be required of candidates selected for final interviews.
Northeastern Illinois University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and invites applications from Women, Minorities, Veterans and Persons with Disabilities, as well as Other Qualified Individuals. Northeastern Illinois University positions are contingent upon the University's receipt of its State of Illinois appropriation.