Assistant Director for Student Orientation
Northeastern Illinois University invites applications for the position of Assistant Director for Student Orientation
Primary job function summary:
The Assistant Director is responsible for coordinating and implementing educationally purposeful and assessable orientation programs and additional programs that support the orientation, transition and retention efforts of the University. The incumbent will foster and maintain positive relationships with University partners, department staff and external constituents to provide experiences that focus on student learning and development and lead to student persistence, retention and success. Ability to work evening and weekend hours required.
Minimum qualifications (education, years of experience, training, license, programs or certifications):
- Masters degree in Higher Education Administration, College Student Personnel or related field required
- At least 2-3 years of experience with orientation, transition and/or retention programs in a college/university setting, of which one year full-time or 2 years part-time must be in orientation.
- Experience with program planning, implementation and assessment
- Experience with managing orientation budgets
- Experience with diverse populations, families and non-traditional students preferred
- Understanding of student development theory and experience with application of relevant theories
- Position requires attention to detail, excellent oral and written communication skills, demonstrated effective leadership and evidence of sound judgment
Description of duties and responsibilities (list in order of importance):
Event Planning, Management and Support
- Coordinate and implement an orientation program based on current best practices for this campus; Coordination and implementation include developing day of event schedules, coordination of staff and workshop facilitators, and coordination of services from University resources(ex. Facilities, dining services, parking, etc.)
- Plan and implement departmentally sponsored and co-sponsored programs and services that enhance and support the University’s efforts for orientation, transition and retention.
- Responsibly maintain and monitor budget for orientation programs and related expenses; make recommendations to Director regarding budget allocations related to department sponsored orientation, transition and retention.
- Attend and monitor orientation and other department sponsored/so-sponsored events as assigned/needed to ensure programmatic success, participant safety and facility security.
- Provide on-site support to department programs and services including but not limited to assisting with proctoring placement tests, facilitating workshops for extended orientation and transition programs.
- Provide office representation at University wide events such as Open House, Welcome Events, etc.
- Collaborate with department staff to develop assessment tools and analyze data related to program registration, programmatic success, and success meeting established learning outcomes for programs and services, etc.
Supervision, Training and Development
- Supervise orientation personnel including student aides and interns. Ensure exemplary customer service, quality work performance and projects are completed on time and with consistent accuracy and high quality.
- Coordinate student employee work schedules to provide efficient and effective staffing of orientation and related programs.
- Conduct employee training, schedule performance planning and evaluation as well as coordinate employee interviews and selection.
- Provide training to student aides regarding customer service, University resources, applicable policies, procedures and guidelines. Includes the development and updating of student employee and staff manuals related to orientation programs.
- Participate in or coordinate workshops, retreats, leadership development programs and classes for student organizations, University departments and student employees as needed.
Information Management/Collaboration & Communication
- Collaborate with University partners to strategize and develop efficient and effective methods of implementing department sponsored orientation and transition programs.
- Collaborate with appropriate office staff to develop, coordinate and distribute necessary reports to enable offices to provide services, workshops, facilities, etc. for orientation programs.
- Collaborate with appropriate University partners to update marketing materials (printed, electronic, etc.) related to orientation programs
- Collaborate with appropriate office staff to coordinate support before, during and after events, including but not limited to on-site registration, communication, confirmation of University services and resources
- Compose and submit timely and informative reports regarding programmatic goals and direction
- Remain abreast of current trends and promising practices and conduct research, as needed, related to orientation, transition and retention programs
- Remain abreast of University policies and procedures and sees that they are implemented accurately and in a manner that best support orientation, transition and retention efforts.
- Attend office workshops and training
- Participate on committees and in other University projects as needed.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by the Director.
In order to be considered for employment by Northeastern Illinois University (NEIU) you must submit the following and send all documents within one PDF document to firstname.lastname@example.org
- A letter of interest addressing your qualifications for the position
- Current Resume
- Three (3) current professional references
- Employment Application
- Statement of Annuitant Status
For full consideration a complete application should be received by March 11, 2019.
In addition to the links provided above for the Employment Application (fillable) and Statement of Annuitant Status, you can also obtain these forms at the NEIU Office of Human Resources, Bernard Office Building (BOB), 5555 N. Bernard Street, Chicago, Il 60625, Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Northeastern Illinois University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and invites applications from Women, Minorities, Veterans and Persons with Disabilities, as well as Other Qualified Individuals. Northeastern Illinois University’s positions are contingent upon the University’s receipt of its State of Illinois appropriation.