Assistant Director of Admissions/Communications Specialist
About Northeastern Illinois University
Northeastern Illinois University is ranked as one of the most diverse universities in the Midwest by the Wall Street Journal and US News & World Report, Northeastern Illinois University is a federally-designated Hispanic Serving Institution. Northeastern’s Main Campus is located on 67 acres in a residential area on the Northwest Side of Chicago close to public transportation. Additional campuses served by Student Counseling Services include the Jacob H. Carruthers Center for Inner City Studies in Chicago’s Bronzeville neighborhood, and El Centro in the Avondale neighborhood. Northeastern also offers more than 40 undergraduate degree and certificate programs and more than 50 graduate degree, certificate, licensure and endorsement programs. Read more about Northeastern Illinois University at neiu.edu.
PRIMARY JOB FUNCTION SUMMARY:
Under the direction of the Executive Director of Undergraduate Admissions, the Assistant Director of Admissions/Communications will be responsible for developing and implementing a robust communication outreach to prospective student that will span across several platforms. The major expectation is that the Assistant Director, through his/her efforts, will strive to meet or exceed the institution’s annual enrollment expectations At the direction of the Executive Director of Admissions, the Assistant Director is responsible for strategic planning, coordination and implementation of effective communication, outreach strategies and events designed to engage prospective students and meet enrollment targets. Specific duties will include the development, writing and/or editing of communication and text campaigns and the coordination of social media campaigns. Working with the Executive Director, the Assistant Director will also help plan and execute innovative campus events for prospective students.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: (education, years of experience, training, license, programs or certifications)
The successful candidate for the position will have the following qualifications:
- Master’s degree preferred or Bachelor’s Degree with 2 years of admissions or marketing/communication related experience
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience with various social media channels and their audiences and the ability to develop targeted messages to engage them.
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to work independently.
- Excellent planning, interpersonal and organizational skills; excellent analytical, writing and public speaking skills; commitment to student success.
- Strong computer literacy skills, proficiency in the following: Microsoft Word, Excel
- Ability to exercise discretion and professional judgement. Embody and demonstrate a high level of integrity and confidentiality at all times.
- Exhibit initiative and self-motivation.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and demonstrate a high level of customer service.
- Ability to manage multiple projects
- Work evenings and weekends
Coordination of Communication and Social Media Activities Recruitment-related Activities
- Develop and execute high touch communication and text campaigns to prospective students, and other constituents (students, parents, school counselors, alumni, faculty and friends of the University) Plan and implement on-site admission programs
- Develop appropriate content to be utilized across various platforms that would include social media, video and web.
- Research topics for content development and maintain a content calendar.
- Work collaboratively with marketing colleagues as well as other campus offices and groups to coordinate/implement social media strategies.
- Actively seek out students, faculty, staff and alumni stories to engage various audiences; including prospective students and their families.
- Serve as a communication liaison to the admissions team and campus partners.
- Actively use the Office of Admissions CRM system to engage prospective students.
- Research topics for content consideration and development/maintain a content calendar.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Recruitment of Prospective Students
- The Assistant Director represents the institution and provides prospective students, and other constituents (students, parents, school counselors, alumni, faculty and friends of the University) pertinent information when promoting the extraordinary educational benefits and opportunities that exist at Northeastern Illinois University.
- Advises prospective students on course work needed to complete undergraduate or graduate degree programs. Remains current on new degree program offering and changes in degree program coursework requirements. Makes prospective student referrals to academic department chairs when necessary.
- Provide outreach to students through the application process by communicating via e-mail, phone, and in-person.
- Respond to email inquiries and correspondence as assigned. All email inquiries and phone calls should be responded to within 48 hours, with accurate personal responses.
- Conduct engaging, energetic presentations for prospective students and parents, if needed.
- In conjunction with the Executive Director and Associate VP for Enrollment, create and implement on-campus recruitment strategies.
- Be well versed in university admissions policies and procedures and able to meet with students and make admissions presentations if needed.
- Assess the campus events and make recommendations for future strategies.
(Each position requires a background check.)
In order to be considered for employment to Northeastern Illinois University (NEIU) you must submit the following and send all documents within one PDF document to: AsstDirAdmiss997181@neiu.edu
- A letter of interest addressing your qualifications for the position
- Current Resume
- Three (3) current professional references
- Official Graduate School Transcript(s)
- Employment Application
- Statement of Annuitant Status
For full consideration a complete application should be received by Jan. 6, 2020.
Northeastern Illinois University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and invites applications from Women, Minorities, Veterans and Persons with Disabilities, as well as Other Qualified Individuals. Northeastern Illinois University’s positions are contingent upon the University’s receipt of its State of Illinois appropriation.