Students who intend to pursue a career that requires a Ph.D., and who meet the following criteria, may apply to the program:
- At least 60 credit hours completed (senior status students must have one year remaining at NEIU).
- US citizenship or permanent residency.
- 2.8 or above cumulative GPA.
- A mentor commitment from an NEIU faculty member.
- Status as a first-generation college student with income eligibility and/or a member of a group underrepresented in graduate education.
- A sincere desire to earn a doctoral degree.
To maintain eligibility in the program, a participant must:
- Fully participate in all program events and complete all assignments.
- Maintain a cumulative 3.0 GPA (minimum).
- Establish and maintain an appropriate meeting schedule with the faculty mentor.
- Comply with all federal, state and local laws and all University regulations and procedures when participating in program activities.
- Comply with all McNair Scholars Program requirements, as detailed in the Participation Agreement.