The Google CSSI-Extension Program is one of Northeastern Illinois University's Summer Bridge Programs. These programs provide opportunities for incoming freshmen and some transfer students to get a jump start their academic career, meet other students, become more familiar with NEIU and build their confidence before they begin the fall semester. Due to the current COVID-19 situation, the CSSI-Extension Program will now become CSSI Online. This program is primarily for graduating seniors and some transfer students with a passion for technology—especially for historically excluded groups in tech.
Google CSSI Online is a four-week program that will take place completely online with the support of Northeastern Illinois University faculty, staff and peer mentors. The program’s goal is to increase the number of women, underrepresented ethnic minority students, first-generation, and low-income college students in the field of computer science. CSSI Online will be an intensive, interactive, hands-on and fun program that provides an introduction to computer science for graduating high school seniors and some transfer students with a passion for technology. The program will run from July 6-31 from 1-6 p.m. Upon successful completion of the program, students will receive a tuition scholarship for one college credit class at NEIU for the Fall 2020 semester.
Please note: The application period is now closed.
All interested students must be:
- A current high school senior or transfer student who has been admitted to Northeastern for Fall 2020 and intends to enroll as a full-time student
- Interested in computer science, software engineering, and/or another closely-related subject
- Be able to participate in all of the online activities and technical workshops
- Complete an online program application (this is in addition to the admission application for Northeastern, which has a different deadline)
- Daily developmental sessions to help students prepare for Computer Science studies and future job opportunities
- Opportunities to interact directly with Google engineers
- Hands-on support form NEIU faculty, staff and peer leaders
- Exposure and insight into Google’s internship programs and technical career opportunities
There is no cost to participate in this program. All materials will be provided. Students who successfully complete the CSSI-Extension program will be granted a three-credit-hour tuition scholarship for Fall 2020 at Northeastern.
Program Dates: Monday-Friday, July 6-31, 2020
Program Hours: 1-6 p.m.
Location: Activities for 2020 will be remote. Details will be provided to participants closer to the program start date.
Application Deadline: June 1, 2020
If you are an interested student and would like to learn more about this program, please contact Dr. Maria Luna-Duarte at email@example.com.