edTPA - When is it required?
Per Code 25.720(e), beginning Sept. 1, 2015, each candidate completing an educator preparation program in a teaching field shall be required to pass the TPA (see Section 21B-30(f) of the School Code).
- Each recognized institution offering approved teacher preparation programs shall administer the TPA during a candidate’s student teaching experience.
- No later than July 1, 2013, each recognized institution offering an approved teacher preparation program shall begin using the TPA with at least some of its students; however, before Sept. 1, 2015, an institution shall not require passage of the TPA as a condition for program completion for students participating in any limited implementation required under this subsection (e)(2) unless the institution requires that all candidates pass the assessment.”
Is the edTPA required for a subsequent teaching endorsement outside of the grade range of the first teaching endorsement?
- Individuals licensed prior to Sept. 1, 2015, will not be required to pass the edTPA when completing a full or focused program that leads to a subsequent teaching endorsement.
- Beginning with those licensed on or after Sept. 1, 2015, the edTPA is required once, when the candidate is student teaching for his/her first endorsement.
- Even if a full or focused program requires additional student teaching when adding a subsequent endorsement outside of the grade range of the first endorsement, the candidate need not take the edTPA again.
edTPA - Policies and Procedures
The Illinois School Code requires that teacher preparation programs in Illinois begin phasing in an “evidence-based assessment of teacher effectiveness.” Per ISBE administrative rule 23 Ill. Adm. Code 25.720(e), as of Sept. 1, 2015, all teacher candidates will have to pass such an assessment in order to apply for licensure. Each recognized institution offering approved teacher preparation programs shall administer the Teacher Performance Assessment (edTPA) during a candidate’s student teaching experience. edTPA, an assessment designed by Stanford University, is the “evidence-based assessment of teacher effectiveness” that has been approved by the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) in consultation with the State Educator Preparation and Licensure Board. edTPA is meant to serve as a capstone assessment and complements other assessments of teacher readiness required by ISBE and the candidate’s individual program of study.
The purpose of this edTPA policy is to guide students and faculty in the Goodwin College of Education to meet the state requirements related to edTPA and licensure. For further information about ISBE rules, please contact the licensure officer at Northeastern Illinois University or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
edTPA vouchers sponsored by the State of Illinois and Pearson
Candidates in teacher preparation programs who need to resubmit the edTPA for licensure are eligible to apply for an edTPA voucher during the semester they are completing their pre-student teaching clinical.