How to Apply to the Daniel L. Goodwin College of Education
This process is only for the undergraduate candidates for teacher preparation majors. The candidates for TLP programs, Human Resource Development, Community Health, or Urban Community Studies must contact their advisor for admission.
- Contact your Goodwin College of Education (GCOE) Professional Advisor to prepare for declaring your major. Forward the Declaration of Major form, which was signed by your advisor and yourself, by email to email@example.com. (Do not submit your Declaration to Enrollment Services, as it will not be processed). Your Declaration form will remain in the GCOE Office of Admissions until your application decision day. Your major will be then reflected on NEIUport within a few days after your successful admission into the GCOE.
- In NEIU Tk20, complete 'Application for Undergraduate Admission to the Goodwin College of Education'. Use your student NEIU login username and password. If currently not enrolled in classes, and having trouble with access, see Login Help. (You may also view all Tk20 Instructions).
Tk20 submission must include:
- Names and email addresses for two Academic References: professors or instructors who have observed you in an academic setting. Notify your academic references with an email prepared for you in the above link, to alert them of this request.
- Writing response. You may preview the scoring rubric.
- Illinois Educator Identification Number (IEIN).* This seven-digit number needed for a future teacher can be retrieved from or created at Educator Licensure Information System (ELIS). Please be careful not to create a new number if you already have one from working in a school.
If requested to, provide transfer transcripts.
GCOE Office of Admissions will check each applicant's NEIU transcript for the following 3 requirements: GPA over 2.50; English 101 or 102 with at least a “C”; and Math with at least a “C”. If your NEIU transcript does not show these items, you might be asked to provide transfer transcripts from your previously attended institutions, in order to prove these requirements. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable. If requested, your transfer transcripts must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Provide Fingerprint Background Check results by email to email@example.com. Fingerprinting is required from candidates applying to teacher preparation programs, who must pass federal and State of Illinois background checks, per the State of Illinois School Code. Scenario B is recommended.