M.A. in Counseling: School Counseling
The Department of Counselor Education offers two program options leading to the Master of Arts in Counseling: School Counseling: 1) a 48 credit hour program (16 courses) for licensed teachers and 2) a 57 credit hour program (19 courses) for individuals without a teacher license.

The School Counseling degree fulfills the educational requirements for the Illinois Professional Educator License (PEL) with School Counselor Endorsement. School Counseling graduates also meet the requirements for the two levels of licensure as professional counselors in the State of Illinois: Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) and Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor (LCPC). The School Counseling program is nationally accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP). Counselor Education also offers an endorsement-only option leading to licensure as a school counselor for individuals with an advanced degree in counseling or related fields. Find out more information at Counselor Education’s accreditation, licensures, and credentialing. [link to Accred and Licens page]

This program is for you if you are interested in service, helping, and working with young people, their families, and professional educators within the context of the school environment. Approximately half of the students in our School Counseling program are career changers without a background in education or teaching. They have their original degrees and experiences in all fields of business, medicine, social work, law, religion, the arts, math and science, and other diverse fields. In 2004, Illinois law made it possible for individuals without a teaching license to become school counselors.

Curriculum in School Counseling
Required courses for School Counseling: 48 credit hours (16 courses) ^^
All courses listed below are 3 credit hour graduate courses:

  • COUN 401 Professional Orientation & Legal/Ethical Practices 
  • COUN 402 Developmental Counseling
  • COUN 403 Theories of Counseling
  • COUN 404 Assessment and Evaluation in Counseling
  • COUN 405 Individual Counseling Skills 
  • COUN 406 Group Counseling
  • COUN 408 Research Seminar
  • COUN 409 Career Development
  • COUN 410 School Counseling Seminar 
  • COUN 411 Post Secondary College and Career Counseling 
  • COUN 415 Children and Youth in School and Family Systems
  • COUN 430 Social and Cultural Diversity in Counseling
  • COUN 442 Practicum: School Counseling**
  • COUN 462 Internship I: School Counseling**
  • COUN 472 Internship II: School Counseling**
  • Elective #1

^^In addition, School Counseling students without a teaching license must complete the following courses prior to Practicum:

  • EDFN 405 Development of Educational Thought
  • EDFN 407 Learning Theories & Educational Practice
  • SPED 404 Survey of the Field of Special Education

Typical Elective Courses Taken by School Counseling Students:

  • COUN 420 Introduction to Family Counseling
  • COUN 425 Addictions Counseling
  • COUN 427 Diagnostic Systems for Counseling
  • COUN 429 Psychopharmacology
  • COUN 438 Crisis and Trauma Counseling
  • COUN 439 Case Conceptualization and Treatment Planning

**Clinical Experience
Practicum and Internship consist of 700 hours of documented field related experience, of which a cumulative 280 hours of face-to-face counseling is required. COUN 442 Practicum is a 100-hour, field-based experience requiring a minimum of 40 hours of direct contact with clients. COUN 462 Internship I and COUN 472 Internship II together consist of a 600-hour, field-based experience requiring a minimum of 240 hours of clinical contact with clients. When appropriate, the practicum and internship may be taken at the student's place of employment.

Departmental Proficiency Examination (DPE)
All counselor education students are required to pass a comprehensive departmental proficiency examination (DPE) prior to graduation. This exam is offered annually in February, June, and October. See Calendar for specific dates.

Other Resources

Apply to the M.A. in School Counseling program [link to the Admissions page]