The Literacy Center at Northeastern Illinois University is currently accepting applications for the Summer 2018 Tutoring Program. The cost of the program is $125 for the term.
- Summer 2018 sessions include 60 minutes of asessment and instruction on Mondays and Wednesdays.
- There is a 5 p.m. session for younger students, and a 6:15 p.m. session for older students.
- Sessions begin Wednesday, May 30, and end Monday, July 30.
- There are no sessions on Wednesday, July 4.
- Children are expected to attend all sessions.
Links for applications for Literacy Center programs are below. There is a Microsoft Word document that can be downloaded, completed on your computer and then returned by email. There is also a PDF application that can be printed, completed and scanned, and then returned by email to Literacy-Center@neiu.edu. Either application can also be mailed to the address at the top left of the application.
- Please click for Microsoft Word: Summer 2018 Literacy Center Application
- Please click for the PDF: Summer 2018 Literacy Center Application
The Literacy Center is operated by the Literacy Education Graduate Programs. Current graduate students, who are enrolled in Graduate Clinical Practicum in Literacy Education courses, are the teachers in this program. The graduate students are licensed teachers seeking an advanced degree as a Reading Specialist or an endorsement as a Reading Teacher.
- In this program, children and adolescents receive a comprehensive assessment of their current reading skills and individualized instruction to expand those skills.
- The Literacy Center invites students from grades 1-12 to attend assessment and instruction sessions. The (summer, fall and spring) terms include approximately 16 contact hours with teachers. The fee is $125 per term.
The Literacy Center also offers a Community Program. Teachers in this program are Reading Specialists who have completed most of their graduate work and may have had experience as Reading Specialists. These Reading Specialists provide individual assessment and instruction. The cost of the Community Program is $50 per hourly session of assessments and instruction. An overview report of the assessment and instruction is $100. Please note that the Community Program service is offered based on the availability of these highly experienced Reading Specialists.