The Literacy Center is operated by the Literacy Education Graduate Programs. Current graduate students, who are enrolled in Graduate Clinical Practicum in Literacy Education courses, are the teachers in this program. The graduate students are licensed teachers seeking an advanced degree as a Reading Specialist or an endorsement as a Reading Teacher.
- In this program, children and adolescents receive a comprehensive assessment of their current reading skills and are provided individualized instruction to expand those skills.
- The Literacy Center invites students from grades 1-12 to attend assessment and instruction sessions. The summer, fall and spring terms include approximately 16 contact hours with teachers. The fee is $125 per term.
The Literacy Center also offers a Community Program. Teachers in this program are Reading Specialists who have completed most of their graduate work and may have had experience as Reading Specialists. These Reading Specialists provide individual assessment and instruction. The cost of the Community Program is $50 per hourly session of assessments and instruction. An overview report of the assessment and instruction is $100. Please note that the Community Program service is offered based on the availability of these highly experienced Reading Specialists.
The Literacy Center at Northeastern Illinois University is currently accepting applications for the Fall 2018 Tutoring Program. The cost of the program is $125 for the term.
- Fall 2018 sessions meets on Saturday mornings and include 90 minutes of asessment and instruction.
- There is a 9 a.m. session for younger students and a 10:45 a.m. session for older students.
- Sessions begin Saturday, September 15 and end Saturday, December 8.
- There are no sessions on Saturday, October 6 and Saturday, November 22 because the University will be closed.
- Children are expected to attend all sessions.
Links for applications for Literacy Center programs are below. There is a Microsoft Word document that can be downloaded, completed on your computer and then returned by email. There is also a PDF application that can be printed, completed and scanned, and then returned by email to Literacy-Center@neiu.edu. Either application can also be mailed to the address at the top left of the application.
- Microsoft Word document: Fall 2018 Literacy Center Application
- PDF document: Fall 2018 Literacy Center Application
if you have questions, you may email us at Literacy-Center@neiu.edu or call the Literacy Center at (773) 442-5365.