Ph.D., Southern Illinois University, Carbondale
• Coker, Kesha, Deepa Pillai, and Siva K Balasubramanian (2010), “Delay-Discounting Rewards from Consumer Sales Promotions” Journal of Product & Brand Management, 19(7), 487-495.
• Unni, Ramaprasad, Douglas Tseng, and Deepa Pillai (2010), "Context specificity in use of price information sources," Journal of Consumer Marketing, 27 (3), 243-250.
• Pillai, Deepa, Siva K. Balasubramanian, and Shabnam H.A. Zanjani (2014), “The Effect of Individual Level Variables on the Effectiveness of Brand Placements,” Innovative Marketing, 10(4).
• Balasubramanian, Siva K., Hemant Patwardhan, Deepa Pillai, and Kesha K. Coker (2014), "Modeling Attitude Constructs in Movie Product Placements," Journal of Product & Brand Management, 23 (7), 516-31.
• Sabour, Nadia I., Deepa Pillai, Giacomo Gistri, and Siva K. Balasubramanian (2015), "Attitudes and related perceptions about product placement: a comparison of Finland, Italy and the United States," International Journal of Advertising, 1-26.
Deepa Pillai has a Ph.D. in Marketing from Southern Illinois University, Carbondale. She has a bachelor's degree in Engineering and an MBA in Marketing, and worked for several years in the advertising industry in India. Dr. Pillai is the recipient of a university level doctoral fellowship, a doctoral dissertation research award, and the Sekaran award for the outstanding female doctoral student in the School of Business at SIUC. She was a doctoral fellow at the SMA 2008, INFORMS 2009, and AMA 2010 doctoral consortia.
Dr. Pillai's research interests include marketing communication (specifically, brand/product placement) and pricing (specifically, price discounting). Her research has been presented at the AMA, SMA, INFORMS Marketing Science, MMA, and AMS conferences. Her published research appears in the Journal of Consumer Marketing and the Journal of Product and Brand Management.