The goal of the Department of Computer Science is to provide individuals with a broad-based theoretical and practical understanding of Computer Science. Students who complete the program are prepared to pursue graduate study or to assume positions which include software engineering, technical programming, and the application of computers and related technologies to problems in industry such as computer security, network design and management, and web design.
There are three tracks within the Computer Science undergraduate program:
- Computer Science concentration: This concentration is designed primarily for students intending to pursue an advanced degree in Computer Science. However, it is appropriate for any student whose goal is to understand the fundamentals of computer science.
- Computer Networks and Security concentration: This concentration is designed to prepare students for employment in a computer security related field.
- Information Technology concentration: This concentration is designed to prepare students for employment involving web development and computer network design and maintenance.
The Computer Science program at Northeastern stands out from its competitors in several ways. Northeastern offers both day and evening courses and caters in particular to those who work full-time jobs. There is more contact with professors as the professors themselves are responsible for all grading and all extra help—we do not have T.A.s for our courses. Our class sections are small which also allows for more attention from the professor. Finally, our tuition is one of the most affordable around.
Some benefits of our program are:
- smaller class size
- accessibility—day and evening classes
- more contact with the actual professors
Academic Catalog Information
Take a closer look at the bachelor's degree in Computer Science and the courses offered toward the degree.
Department and Contact Information
If you are interested in the program or have questions, please contact Computer Science at (773) 442-4720.
Northeastern Illinois University is home to 9,000 students from all corners of the world and is one of the most ethnically diverse universities in the nation. Our small class sizes, flexible schedules and dedicated faculty can help you succeed in your studies.
We offer an education with value.