CASEP at Northeastern
All students who attend Northeastern Illinois University become part of a community of learners—learners who engage in an array of experiences. These experiences transform students, as people, and as future leaders. In keeping with this transformative nature of community, Northeastern offers the College of Arts and Sciences Education Program (CASEP) in its curriculum. As a learning community for students interested in becoming teachers, CASEP will help you decide—through targeted coursework, field experiences, and thoughtful reflection—if teaching is right for you!
CASEP begins in the first year of study at Northeastern. It combines general education courses and early field experiences with discussion and feedback about teaching. Students take general education courses that count towards any degree at Northeastern. So even if you decide not to become a teacher, CASEP’s coursework will allow you to pursue other academic paths.
Students selected to join CASEP:
- Benefit from specially-designated general education courses in their first and second years at Northeastern
- Become part of a cohort, or group, of like-minded students interested in the possibility of becoming teachers
- Take courses that are content linked and/or co-taught by faculty
- Conduct K-12 classroom observations in their first year of coursework
- Receive priority registration with a designated advisor
- May participate in service learning or part-time employment opportunities in educational settings
CASEP also fosters these abilities desirable in multiple disciplines:
- Critical and reflective thinking, writing and speaking
- Effective problem solving and decision making
- Enhanced presentational skills and technology use
- An understanding and appreciation of cultural difference
"CASEP will help you determine if teaching is the best career for you."
Students applying to CASEP must be full-time students and should have been accepted by the university at the time of application
Noteworthy at Northeastern: Opportunity abounds
Friday, November 2, 2018Beginning in Fall 2019, Northeastern Illinois University will offer a new Golden Opportunity Scholarship that will cover up to the full cost of tuition and…
Northeastern Illinois University launches Golden Opportunity Scholarship for Fall 2019 freshmen
Thursday, November 1, 2018Northeastern Illinois University has founded the Golden Opportunity Scholarship that will cover up to the full cost of tuition and fees for qualifying freshmen beginning…
Laurie Fuller earns Northeastern’s Distinguished Teaching Award
Monday, October 29, 2018Northeastern Illinois University has selected Professor of Women’s and Gender Studies Laurie Fuller as the 2018 recipient of the Audrey Reynolds Distinguished Teaching Award. Professor Emerita of…