This list of questions was last reviewed on January 27, 2022.

How can I help students who have been adversely affected by the COVID-19 pandemic? (reviewed January 27, 2022)

Northeastern has designated the Student Emergency Fund for this effort. Details on donating or applying for assistance are available on the Student Emergency Fund site.

What is the faculty/staff responsibility regarding reporting COVID-19 scenarios if a student discloses positive results, exposure and/or signs and symptoms? (reviewed January 27, 2022)

Faculty and staff are required to report positive and presumptive COVID-19 cases and exposures to Student Health Services. This is not considered a breach of confidentiality. Due to the current COVID-19 public health emergency, the U.S. Department of Education has made an exception to FERPA student privacy rules. The disclosure of personally identifiable student information to parents, law enforcement officials, trained health care professionals and public health officials is permissible to protect the health and safety of others.

I am a medically high-risk person and need an accommodation to safely work. What do I do? (reviewed January 27, 2022)

The University’s policy on Reasonable Accommodations for Employees and Applicants with Disabilities provides staff and faculty with a process to seek reasonable accommodations to qualified employees with physical or mental disabilities. A medical certification and employee request are required. The University will expedite requests for accommodations through the Disability Coordinator at

What is the guidance from Central Management Services (CMS) regarding COVID-19 Information (reviewed January 27, 2022)?

How do I change my tax sheltered annuity or deferred compensation to take hardship withdrawals or loans? (reviewed January 27, 2022)

Faculty are welcome to contact Rina Charters at

Staff are invited to contact Lakishia Wallace at

How do I withdraw money from my tax-sheltered annuity? (reviewed January 27, 2022)

Contact the vendor associated with your account. This contact information is located on your statement.

Can my supervisor schedule me to work different hours or shifts that I normally do not work? (reviewed January 27, 2022)

Employees may be asked to work alternate shifts in accordance with their applicable collective bargaining agreement. Non-negotiated employees are expected to work the hours required to fulfill their professional obligations.

How do I contact the NEIU Employee Assistance Program? (reviewed January 27, 2022)

Effective July 1, 2021, the NEIU Employee Assistance Program, ComPsych Corporation provides services as a component of the health plan in which the member is enrolled. Covered employees also have 24-hour support and access at 1-833-955-3400; Benefits include:

  • Free, confidential, 24/7 Assistance
  • FIVE (5) sessions of short term counseling available per person, per issue virtually or in person
  • Unlimited legal and financial telephonic consultations
  • Unlimited work life research and referral to elder care, child care, relocation and more
  • Digital tools 24/7

How do I change my SURS deferred compensation to take hardship withdrawals or loans? (reviewed January 27, 2022)

If you are enrolled in the SURS DCP and need to make a deferral change, log into your Member Website and make the change there. There are no loan provisions in the SURS DCP, however there are hardship provisions and eligible employees may contact Voya’s Deferred Compensation Call Center at (800) 613-9543.

Can managers send sick employees home? (reviewed January 27, 2022)

University employees who are ill are expected to stay at home. In the event that a University employee comes to work and exhibits symptoms of illness, a supervisor may ask the employee to go home.

I am anxious about this coronavirus outbreak. Who can I go to for help? (updated January 27, 2022)

Individuals may seek support through the Employee Assistance Program (EAP). Student Counseling Services has also created a guide to managing coronavirus-related anxiety.

What if I experience bigotry, bias or discrimination because of this crisis? (reviewed January 27, 2022)

Northeastern Illinois University does not tolerate bigotry, bias or discrimination. The University’s Equal Opportunity policy may be found here: non-discrimination policy. If you believe you have been the victim of discrimination or harassment, contact

What should I do if I test positive for COVID-19? (updated January 27, 2022)

Employees should stay home and send their positive test result to and

What if I need technical support? (reviewed January 27, 2022)

Please contact the Help Desk at or (773) 442-4357.