This list of questions was last reviewed on July 1, 2020. Zero questions were added or updated.

How can I help students who have been adversely affected by the COVID-19 pandemic? (added March 25)

Northeastern has designated the Student Emergency Fund for this effort. Details on donating or applying for assistance are available on the Student Emergency Fund site.

What should I do if I am sick? (updated March 18)

If you are sick, follow your physician’s advice. Employees should inform their supervisors and students should contact their professors.

What should I do if I might have been in contact with someone who has COVID-19 but does not have symptoms? (added March 12)

If you are not sick, you should monitor yourself for fever, shortness of breath or cough for 14 days after the last day you were exposed to someone with COVID-19. Again, if you are sick and show symptoms, you should stay home and away from other people. Contact your physician and follow their orders.

I am a medically high-risk person and need an accommodation to safely work. What do I do? (added March 12)

The University’s policy on Reasonable Accommodations for Employees and Applicants with Disabilities provides staff and faculty with a process to seek reasonable accommodations to qualified employees with physical or mental disabilities. A medical certification and employee request are required. The University will expedite requests for accommodations through the Disability Coordinator at

What do I need to know about the Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA)? (added March 31)

FFCRA requires certain employers to provide their employees with paid sick leave and expanded family and medical leave for specified reasons related to COVID-19. The act is effective April 1 through Dec. 31, 2020. A covered employer must provide FFCRA notice to individuals who have been employed for at least 30 days. Here are employee resources:

In order to make a request, employees must complete an NEIU COVID-19 Emergency Leave Form (best with Chrome browser).

What is the guidance from Central Management Services (CMS), State Universities Retirement System (SURS) and Magellan (Employee Assistance Program)? (updated April 2)

Here is the latest:

How do I change my tax sheltered annuity or deferred compensation to take hardship withdrawals or loans? (added April 13)

Please contact Benefits Manager Mary Griesinger at

How do I withdraw money from my tax-sheltered annuity? (added April 13)

Contact the vendor associated with your account. This contact information is located on your statement.

How do I telecommute or work from home? (updated March 17)

Can my supervisor schedule me to work different hours or shifts that I normally do not work? (added March 12)

Employees may be asked to work alternate shifts in accordance with their applicable collective bargaining agreement. Non-negotiated employees are expected to work the hours required to fulfill their professional obligations.

Can managers send sick employees home? (added March 12)

University employees who are ill are expected to stay at home. In the event that a University employee comes to work and exhibits symptoms of illness, a supervisor may ask the employee to go home.

I am anxious about this coronavirus outbreak. Who can I go to for help? (updated March 18)

Employees may work with University Ombuds to address workplace challenges. Individuals may seek support through the Employee Assistance Program (EAP). Student Counseling Services has also created a guide to managing coronavirus-related anxiety.

What if I experience bigotry, bias or discrimination because of this crisis? (updated March 13)

Northeastern Illinois University does not tolerate bigotry, bias or discrimination. The University’s Equal Opportunity policy may be found here: non-discrimination policy. If you believe you have been the victim of discrimination or harassment, contact

Do I get paid or do I have to use benefit time if I self-quarantine? (added March 17)

Employees who self-quarantine in accordance with the recommendation of the Illinois Department of Public Health or Chicago Department of Public Health because of exposure to coronavirus will be placed on leave with pay for the period of self-quarantine. Employees who stay home because of illness should take sick leave in accordance with University leave policies. Once the self-quarantine is over, the employee should work with their supervisor to be able to work from home.

May employees enter a University building? (updated March 20)

Only those who have been identified as having essential functions will be allowed access to University facilities. Supervisors will inform their employees if they have these essential functions; otherwise, employees should work from home.

What if I need technical support? (added March 18)

Please contact the Help Desk at or (773) 442-4357.