This list of questions was last reviewed on July 1, 2020. Zero questions were added or updated.

How can I help students who have been adversely affected by the COVID-19 pandemic? (added March 25)

Northeastern has designated the Student Emergency Fund for this effort. Details on donating or applying for assistance are available on the Student Emergency Fund site.

What should I do if I am sick? (updated March 18)

If you are sick, follow your physician’s advice. Employees should inform their supervisors and students should contact their professors.

What should I do if I might have been in contact with someone who has COVID-19 but does not have symptoms? (added March 12)

If you are not sick, you should monitor yourself for fever, shortness of breath or cough for 14 days after the last day you were exposed to someone with COVID-19. Again, if you are sick and show symptoms, you should stay home and away from other people. Contact your physician and follow their orders.

What do I need to know about the Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA)? (added March 31)

FFCRA requires certain employers to provide their employees with paid sick leave and expanded family and medical leave for specified reasons related to COVID-19. The act is effective April 1 through Dec. 31, 2020. A covered employer must provide FFCRA notice to individuals who have been employed for at least 30 days. Here are employee resources:

In order to make a request, employees must complete an NEIU COVID-19 Emergency Leave Form (best with Chrome browser).

Can managers send sick employees home? (added March 12)

University employees who are ill are expected to stay at home. In the event that a University employee comes to work and exhibits symptoms of illness, a supervisor may ask the employee to go home.

Where can I find Provost Rome’s communications to faculty? (updated March 17)

Provost Rome’s communications can be found in the Latest Communications section of the main Coronavirus Response page.

What is the modified grading policy for Summer 2020? (updated May 6)

Courses are set up for either letter grading or pass/fail by default. The modified policy for Spring 2020 and Summer 2020 enables eligible students to switch to Pass/No Pass (“P”/”NP”) grading from either of these grading modes. The Office of the Registrar will communicate how this is done by the beginning of each summer session. View the provost’s guidelines for more information.

Should faculty hold remote office hours? (updated May 6)

Yes. Given the suspension of face-to-face instruction and the move to have employees work remotely, faculty should hold their office hours remotely. Faculty are encouraged to communicate with students about how they can be reached and should be flexible in what tools they use to connect with students.

Where can I get help with D2L? (updated April 1)

Faculty members are encouraged to review the information on the Keep Teaching page and to access the CTL COVID-19 Faculty Support course shells in Desire2Learn (D2L) to find the best solutions for their courses and students. The Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL) is providing support through the COVID-19 course shells and online sessions and can be emailed at

What is the guidance from Central Management Services (CMS), State Universities Retirement System (SURS) and Magellan (Employee Assistance Program)? (added March 25)

Here is the latest:

How do I conduct labs, physical education or performing arts classes remotely? (updated April 1)

Faculty members are encouraged to access the CTL COVID-19 Faculty Support course shells in Desire2Learn (D2L), where they can find discipline-specific resources for remote instruction and interact with faculty colleagues in the discussion forum.

I supervise students who are student teaching, doing an internship or completing clinicals. Should they still go to those sites? (updated March 18)

If offsite agencies remain open, students may continue to complete their academically required service hours as planned. Students are encouraged to consult with their instructor and their site to determine if they will continue to remain open or offer alternative forms of delivery. An NEIU-affiliated site supervisor or instructor should continue to provide oversight instruction during this time.

How do I activate my D2L course shell? (added March 12)

Read these instructions on activating your D2L course, and you may watch this video.

How can I email my entire class? (added March 12)

You may view this video about using the D2L Classlist to contact students.

Is tutoring still available for my students? (updated April 1)

Yes, remote tutoring is available. Details are available on the Keep Learning page.

Should we continue to nominate students for future study abroad trips? (added March 12)


Are library materials still available? (updated March 20)

All online search tools and collections are available from anywhere 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you are off campus, you will be asked to login with your NEIU NetID and password. You can find our ebooks and streaming videos in WorldCat Discovery.

Can I still work with a librarian? (updated March 20)

The library chat service is available during the usual hours:

  • Monday-Thursday, 8 a.m. to 9 p.m.
  • Friday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
  • Saturday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
  • Sunday, Noon to 8 p.m.

Librarians will also be available by chat, phone, or Nmail Hangouts Meet by appointment. Please complete the Research Consultation Request form to set up a time.

Does this affect bookstore orders for summer and fall? (updated April 21)

Book orders continue to be accepted and processed. All textbooks will be available to students for purchase online, as long as the instructor has submitted their course material adoptions to the bookstore.

What guidance should we give to students and faculty advisors about graduation applications and signed course record forms? (updated April 29)

Graduation applications can be submitted electronically to Graduation Evaluations ( for undergraduate students and to Graduate Records ( for graduate students. The date to submit a graduation application for a December graduation has been extended to June 1. In order to pay the graduation application fee, students can log into NEIUport and make a payment in the term in which they are graduating. Please email after making the payment so that we can ensure the payment gets associated to your graduation fee.

What if I need technical support? (added March 18)

Contact the Help Desk at or (773) 442-4357.

How do I change my tax sheltered annuity or deferred compensation to take hardship withdrawals or loans? (added April 13)

Contact Benefits Manager Mary Griesinger at

How do I withdraw money from my tax-sheltered annuity? (added April 13)

Contact the vendor associated with your account. This contact information is located on your statement.