Position Title: Coordinator (for Career Services)
Department: Career Development Center
Full Time Position:
NEIU’s Career Development Center is seeking a qualified individual to coordinate career development initiatives within designated academic departments, special programs, satellite campuses and non-traditional degree program areas. Career advising, guidance and counseling to current students, alumni along with liaison responsibilities to designated academic departments, special programs, satellite campuses and non-traditional degree program. The candidate will work as a member of the Career Development Center staff team contributing to the effectiveness, visibility and outreach of the Career Development Center within the campus community and surrounding communities.
About Northeastern Illinois University:
Founded in 1867, NEIU has a rich tradition of educational innovation and prides itself on preparing teachers and administrators who make a difference in Chicago. That tradition continues to this day and has expanded to include an array of academic disciplines, allowing the University to embrace fully the community in which it resides. NEIU is regarded as the most diverse public comprehensive university in the Midwest and is designated by the United States Department of Education as an Hispanic Serving Institution. Diversity is an important factor in the character of this urban institution and in the social fabric of the student body. NEIU has an enrollment of 10,000 students, and ALANA students represent nearly 60% of the student body. Located on 67 acres in an attractive residential area on the northwest side of Chicago, the University offers more than 80 undergraduate and graduate programs in the arts, sciences, education, and business. The University has additional campuses in the metropolitan area: The Carruthers Center for Inner city Studies, El Centro, and the Center for College Access and Success (formerly the Chicago Teachers’ Center). The University is also a founding member of the University Center of Lake County consortium campus in suburban Lake County, north of Chicago. Newsweek magazine named Northeastern Illinois University the sixth “Best Investment” in the United States and number one in Illinois. Northeastern shares the top-ten spot with Harvard, Stanford, Princeton and MIT.
The Division of Student Affairs at Northeastern Illinois University actively supports and engages its diverse community of learners through excellent programs and services that enhance students’ personal development, leadership skills, and intercultural competencies to engage in a dynamic global society. The Division of Student Affairs embraces the University’s core values and contributes to student success through: holistic support, experiential learning, civic leadership, and social justice.
Description of Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide liaison to designated academic departments, special programs, satellite campuses and non-traditional degree programs areas. Develop and coordinate career development initiatives within these selected units. Develop systems for collecting and maintain statistical data on career development programs, activities and services in the assigned academic area.
- Provide career advising, guidance and counseling to current students, alumni, those who are undecided about selecting a major and experienced alumni who are changing career fields. Work proactively to reach out to students and student organizations to provide career related assessments, career advising and group presentations.
- Develop and maintain employer relationships. Develop on campus events for employers. Off-site employer visits as needed. Collaborate with internship coordinator to develop a system for developing internship opportunities.
- Contribute as a member of the Career Development Center staff team to the continuing development, effectiveness, and visibility of the Career Development Center. The position reports to the Director of the Career Development Center.
Masters Degree in Student Development, Counseling, Education, Human Resource Development, Higher Education, Business Administration or related degree. One to Three years of experience in the career development area as a job developer, career advisor, administrator, or coach. Strong Communication skills (oral and writing) and the ability to communicate effectively with internal and external constituents. Ability to work independently and collaboratively to achieve goals in a timely manner. MS Office Applications skills and data base management. Experience developing presentations for students, faculty, and employers and the ability to develop career development outreach programs.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. Excellent benefits package including health, dental and vision, and participation in the State Universities Retirement System.
This position requires a background check.
In order to be considered for employment by Northeastern Illinois University (NEIU) you must submit the following and send all documents within one PDF/Word document to: CareerCoordinatorSearch@neiu.edu.
- A letter of interest addressing your qualifications for this position
- Current Resume
- Three (3) current references
- Employment Application
- Statement of Annuitant Status
- Copies of unofficial transcripts are accepted; however, official transcripts will be required of candidates selected for on-campus interviews
In addition to the links provided above for the Employment Application (fillable) and Statement of Annuitant Status, you can also obtain these forms at the NEIU Office of Human Resources, Bernard Office Building (B0B), 5555 N. Bernard, Chicago, IL 60625, Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Review of applications begins immediately and continues until the position is filled.
Northeastern Illinois University is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer and invites applications from Women, Minorities, Veterans and Persons with Disabilities, as well as Other Qualified Individuals.