Controller’s Office/Grants Accounting
- Bachelor’s degree or higher (120 semester hours) of college course work and /or training in Accounting or closely related field including 12 semester hours in accounting, or
- Three years of work experience and/or training in Accounting or closely related field, or
- A combination of work experience and/or training in Accounting or education or closely related field including 12 semester hours in accounting that totals 3 years
(This position requires a background check.)
Personal attributes needed to undertake job:
- Knowledge of the basic theories, principles, methods, and practices of professional accounting
- Knowledge of the laws, rules and regulation relating to state or non-state accounting procedures, office methods and procedures
- Knowledge of automated data processing system
- Ability to prepare complete and accurate accounting reports
- Ability to perform detailed work involving the application of accounting theory to routine accounting problems
- Ability to evaluate routine accounting problems and analyze and interpret less complex accounting records and reports
- Ability to perform detailed work involving written or numerical data and make arithmetical calculations rapidly and accurately
- Ability to effectively work with others
$15.50 per hour
Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
(Hours may vary depending on departmental needs)
Under supervision of the grants accounting manager, this position supports the Grants Accounting Office (within the Controller’s Office); assists the grants accounting office personnel with budgets, journal entries fiscal reporting and monitoring of expenses; assist in the review of grants close out, accounts receivable, entering of fund applications, as well as helping to answer requests and questions from departments and outside entities who are connected to grants at NEIU; complete routine journal entries to support payroll and benefits charges on grants, as well as reconciliation of payroll and effort reporting; pull data and files for A133 audit, external independent audits, and NEIU internal audits; complete other duties as assigned as file maintenance, general errands between departments, fiscal year close assistance, running or maintaining routine reports; and accomplish goals and duties related to post award functionality at the University.
In order to be considered for employment by Northeastern Illinois University (NEIU), you must submit the following:
- Employment Application (Original initials and signatures are required for each position applied. Electronic initials and signatures are not acceptable.)
- Statement of Annuitant Status (Original signatures are required for each position applied. Electronic signatures are not acceptable.)
- Affirmative Action Form
- Cover letter
- Official transcript(s)
You can obtain an Employment Application and Statement of Annuitant Status form in the Office of Human Resources, Bernard Office Building (BOB), 5555 N. Bernard, Chicago, IL 60625, Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. You may also download and print a copy of the Employment Application, Affirmative Action Form and Statement of Annuitant Form. You must complete, sign and date the application, affirmative action form and annuitant form and submit them along with official transcripts, resume and cover letter to the Office of Human Resources by the application deadline. A new application and annuitant form are required for each position applied.
If you have any questions, please call the Office of Human Resources at 773-442-5200, or email us at CS-Employment@neiu.edu. Please visit the State of Illinois University Civil Service website at http://www.sucss.illinois.gov/updates.aspx for general information. NEIU Employment Services reserves the right not to consider any application on the basis of incomplete information/documents, delay in submission, and disqualifications under the rules of State Universities Civil Service System. Employment Services, however, assures that your application will be duly reviewed on the basis of the classification(s) in which you qualify and, accordingly, will inform you of their decision.
A CURRENT EMPLOYMENT APPLICATION, STATEMENT OF ANNUITANT STATUS FORM, AFFIRMATIVE ACTION FORM, RESUME AND COVER LETTER WILL BE ACCEPTED THROUGH THE CLOSE OF BUSINESS 3/9/18.
NORTHEASTERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY / AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER AND INVITES APPLICATIONS FROM WOMEN, MINORITIES, VETERANS AND PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES, AS WELL AS OTHER QUALIFIED INDIVIDUALS. NORTHEASTERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY’S POSITIONS ARE CONTINGENT UPON THE UNIVERSITY’S RECEIPT OF ITS STATE OF ILLINOIS APPROPRIATION.