Controller’s Office/General Accounting
- Bachelor’s degree or higher (120 semester hours) of college course work and /or training in Accounting or closely related field including 12 semester hours in accounting, or
- Three years of work experience and/or training in Accounting or closely related field, or
- A combination of work experience and/or training in Accounting or education or closely related field including 12 semester hours in accounting that totals 3 years
(This position requires a background check.)
Personal attributes needed to undertake job:
- Knowledge of the basic theories, principles, methods, and practices of professional accounting
- Knowledge of the laws, rules and regulation relating to state or non-state accounting procedures, office methods and procedures
- Knowledge of automated data processing system
- Ability to prepare complete and accurate accounting reports
- Ability to perform detailed work involving the application of accounting theory to routine accounting problems
- Ability to evaluate routine accounting problems and analyze and interpret less complex accounting records and reports
- Ability to perform detailed work involving written or numerical data and make arithmetical calculations rapidly and accurately
- Ability to effectively work with others
$15.50 per hour
Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
(Hours may vary depending on departmental needs)
Under the direction of the Chief Accountant, this position maintains and prepares various and complex reconciliations including general ledger and operating ledger accounts; reconciles financial data, reports and accounts; examines accounting records, financial statements, or other financial reports; maintain the University ledgers accounts, University chart of accounts; prepares financial statements, schedules and various reports; analyze financial data; reviews, approves and post documents and various journal entries; deposits checks payable to University at cashier; managers and reconcile cash funds; assists higher level accountants; prepares and post adjustments, reclassification, financial transactions in the form of journal entries.
In order to be considered for employment by Northeastern Illinois University (NEIU), you must submit the following:
- Employment Application (Original initials and signatures are required for each position applied. Electronic initials and signatures are not acceptable.)
- Statement of Annuitant Status
- Affirmative Action Form (Original signatures are required for each position applied. Electronic signatures are not acceptable.)
- Cover letter
- Official transcript(s)
You can obtain an Employment Application, Affirmative Action Form and Statement of Annuitant Status form in the Office of Human Resources, Bernard Office Building (BOB), 5555 N. Bernard, Chicago, IL 60625, Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. You may also download and print a copy of the Employment Application, Affirmative Action Form and Statement of Annuitant Form. You must complete, sign and date the application, affirmative action form and annuitant form and submit them along with official transcripts, resume and cover letter to the Office of Human Resources by the application deadline. A new application, affirmative action form and annuitant form are required for each position applied.
If you have any questions, please call the Office of Human Resources at 773-442-5200, or email us at CS-Employment@neiu.edu. Please visit the State of Illinois University Civil Service website at http://www.sucss.illinois.gov/updates.aspx for general information. NEIU Employment Services reserves the right not to consider any application on the basis of incomplete information/documents, delay in submission, and disqualifications under the rules of State Universities Civil Service System. Employment Services, however, assures that your application will be duly reviewed on the basis of the classification(s) in which you qualify and, accordingly, will inform you of their decision.
Application Deadline: A CURRENT EMPLOYMENT APPLICATION, STATEMENT OF ANNUITANT STATUS FORM, AFFIRMATIVE ACTION FORM, RESUME AND COVER LETTER WILL BE ACCEPTED THROUGH THE CLOSE OF BUSINESS 3/9/18.
NORTHEASTERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY / AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER AND INVITES APPLICATIONS FROM WOMEN, MINORITIES, VETERANS AND PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES, AS WELL AS OTHER QUALIFIED INDIVIDUALS. NORTHEASTERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY’S POSITIONS ARE CONTINGENT UPON THE UNIVERSITY’S RECEIPT OF ITS STATE OF ILLINOIS APPROPRIATION.