WELCOME TO THE STUDENT CENTER FOR SCIENCE ENGAGEMENT WEBSITE
For full access to information on this website and to post comments or items, please register first and then log in.
WHO WE ARE
The Student Center for Science Engagement (SCSE)
, located in the Bernard Brommel Hall, room 235 on NEIU\'s main campus, was established in 2008 with an award from the Department of Education\'s College Cost Reduction and Access Act (CCRAA) for Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) grants.
The mission of the Center is to enhance overall student engagement in the sciences, and to increase the number of students in the fields of science, technology, engineering and mathematics, or STEM disciplines, by supporting NEIU students majoring in Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Earth Science, Mathematics, and Physics. We assist students as they prepare for scientifically-driven careers by providing them with the support they need to advance into post graduate study or other professional options that leverage their scientific training. Here is what we do
- Provide one-on-one holistic mentorship and advising, assisting students with important choices and decisions about their academic and professional lives.
- Recommend professional development opportunities through connections to jobs, internships, and career exploration sessions.
- Explore graduate school opportunities and liaison within the scientific community.
- Develop year-round workshops that cover a broad range of professional training topics.
- Offer a quiet place to study with tutors available for Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Earth Science, Mathematics, and Physics.
- Facilitate peer-mentoring within the sciences.
- Fund scientific research projects for the summer semester.
- Organize an annual symposium for students to present their research to the NEIU community.
- Assist with student travel to scientific conferences.