Student Health & Counseling Services
Clinical Training Opportunities
About Therapy Practicum
Northeastern's office of Counseling Services has a long history of involvement in various levels of clinical training. Since the early 1990's, Counseling Services has trained Masters-level interns, doctoral externs, predoctoral interns and postdoctoral fellows.
This is accomplished by joining the clinical team in a variety of office activities, including:
- Direct clinical services (individual, couple or group therapy)
- Outreach and consultation to the university community
- Case conferences
- Psychiatric case-consultation
Practicum students spend 22 hrs per week on site. Therapy practicum generally begins mid-Aug and runs through May of the following year.
To apply, please send the following materials:
- Cover letter
- Copy of your graduate transcript
- Two Letters of Recommendation
- Personal statement - In your personal statement, please address the following: What are your goals for therapy practicum? Also, please describe your approach to your work and how it fits with who you are as a person and who you want to be as a psychologist.
Send your application materials to:
Dr. Miki Koyama
Student Health & Counseling Services, D-024
Northeastern Illinois University
5500 N. St. Louis Ave.
Chicago, IL 60625-4699
Application and Timeline
Our process and timelines comply with ACEPT guidelines. Consequently, applications will be accepted for practicum beginning in February with interviews expected through mid-March. Therapy practicum runs from the last week of August through May of the following year.
For More Information
If you have other questions about the externship program, contact Dr. Miki Koyama at email@example.com or (773) 442-4650.