What is academic advising?
  • The purpose of academic advising is to help you develop an educational plan and eventually reach your specific educational goals. This process also involves helping you understand the objectives and requirements of the bachelor's degree. Helping you connect your academic work with your personal passions is another goal. Your advisor is a valuable resource for selecting courses, finding out about the requirements for various majors, helping you understand general education requirements, and referring you to others for assistance when necessary.
When should you meet with an advisor?
  • You should meet with your advisor whenever you have questions about your academic choices or your educational plan or need help with understanding the requirements of your major or degree.
An academic advisor is someone who can:

  • Help you plan an educational program based upon your interests, talents, and future goals.
  • Answer your questions about taking summer classes.
  • Suggest options if you do not like your current major.
  • Inform you about various college or university policies and procedures.
  • Help you decide whether or not to drop or add a course.
  • Explain your General Education Requirements.
  • Suggest ways you can correct an academic deficiency.
  • Discuss next term's schedule with you.
  • Refer you to a personal or financial counselor.
  • Review your selection of classes to make certain that they are appropriate choices leading toward your particular degree or major.
An academic advisor cannot:

  • Make decisions for you.
  • Choose an appropriate major for you.
  • Tell you which classes or professors are easy.
  • Serve as a personal or financial counselor.
  • Solve your problems for you.
  • Give academic information about you to other parties without your written permission.
How do I declare a Pre Major?

  • Students may declare a pre major by obtaining the form at the Enrollment Services Center (D 101).
How do I declare a Major?

  • Obtain the form from the deans or department office, or from the Academic Advising Office.
  • The form is to be completed and presented to the department of the intended major.
  • Students declaring a major in the College of Business and Management and the College of Education must obtain approval by the department chairperson and former Academic/University Advisor, the form is submitted to Enrollment Services for data entry.
  • Students declaring a major in the College of Arts and Sciences may submit the form to a representative in the department office, who will assign an academic advisor to the student. No other signatures are required. The form is then submitted to the Office of Enrollment Services for data entry. In most cases students may follow this procedure at any time throughout the school year. Please check with the major department for specific deadlines.
How many credits should I take per semester?

  • A full time credit load is 12 or more credits, and some students (GI Bill recipients, full time Financial Aid recipients) are mandated to be full time. However, if you do not have any stipulations for amount of credits, you may take however many credits you find suitable (up to a maximum of 18)*. An advisor can help you determine a suitable credit load.
  • * During the Fall and Spring terms, a student may register for a maximum of 18 credit hours. Any amount over this is called an "overload" and must be approved. Summer overload is more than 12 credit hours throughout entire summer, and no more than 6 credit hours in shorter summer sessions. Click here for more information.
Are you required to have a minor and how do you declare one?

  • You are not required to have a minor, but you may want to enhance your resume with one or two minors. Schedule time to talk to an advisor and refer to the catalog for specific requirements of the minor in which you are interested. You may declare a minor by completing a form available at the Registrar's Office or Advising Center.