New Student & Family Programs
Orientation is designed to support and enhance the new student transition to the University by taking a holistic approach to student development and transition, with the ultimate goal of positively impacting student success.
The mission of Orientation programming is to assist new students with a successful transition to Northeastern Illinois University by preparing students for the academic, social, and cultural opportunities and climate of the University, while also supporting parents, partners, guardians, and children of new students.
The mission and goals of Orientation are grounded by NEIU's strategic plan. Orientation supports student success, which is goal one of the strategic plan. Specifically, the program focuses on two action steps within goal one: 1.3: Raise undergraduate and graduate student recruitment, retention, and graduation rates, including those for students from historically underrepresented groups, to specific University benchmarks and goals. 1.5: Improve coordination among student and academic support programs and services with a focus on quality, customer service, and intentional integration with the curriculum.
Student Learning Outcomes
Student will have:
- An increased knowledge of the practical competencies needed to be successful at Northeastern Illinois University.
- An enhanced awareness regarding major/academic field of interest.
- Meaningful relationships with faculty, staff, and other students.
- A strengthened sense of self-efficacy.
- A greater level of satisfaction with their decision to attend NEIU.
- An enriched awareness/belief that the University is here to support their success.
- Parents, partners, guardians, and children with increased knowledge of methods to support student success.
- Parents, partners, guardians, and children with an enhanced bond with the University.
- An increased understanding of leadership styles and leadership skills.