A Project by
Rod Sellers
Chicago's East Side 
Industrial Sites
East Side Welcome
Industrial Sites
Republic Steel
Youngstown Steel
Wisconsin Steel
State Line Generating Station
 U. S. Steel South Works
Wisconsin Steel Works 

 The first mill in the Southeast Chicago area was the Joseph H. Brown Iron and Steel Company's Rolling Mill located on the Calumet River at about 109th Street.  Its cornerstone was laid on July 5, 1875.  The surrounding community was known as Irondale.  In 1882, Brown and another principal shareholder, J. T. Torrence, sold their interests in the mill to the Calumet Iron and Steel Company owned by J. C. Cummings and the community became known as Cummings.  In about 1900 the mill was taken over by the Deering Harvester Company which merged with the McCormick Company and formed International Harvester Company and in 1905 the name of the mill was changed to Wisconsin Steel. 

 Click on the links at the left to tour industrial sites of 
Chicago's East Side.

Teachers' Center
National Endowment for the Humanities
Illinois University