George Washington High School
Washington High School was built in
to service students from the communities of Hegewisch and the East
These communities underwent significant growth of population in the
WW II housing boom. The school originally opened as a K-12 school
under the leadership of a single principal. The cornerstone was
in 1956 and the school was formally dedicated on April 9, 1958.
first students, 72 in all, entered the high school in February
Over 400 additional students transferred from Bowen High School in
1957. The first graduating class was February 1960 when 50
graduated. In June 1960 122 graduates received diplomas.
architects are Perkins and Will, a very well known Chicago firm. The
style of the school resembles many suburban schools built in the post
era and is quite dissimilar from most Chicago public high
A recent rehab of the school has taken this historical significance
Click on the links at the left
Chicago's East Side schools.