To sites 3 and 4
|State Line Boundary Marker|
The State Line Generating Station is a coal burning power plant. It is located on the shores of Lake Michigan on the Illinois-Indiana border. The plant has undergone several changes during the past century. Opened in 1929, the Unit 1 turbine-generator at the plant had a capacity of 208,000 kilowatts (kw). From 1929 to 1954 it was the largest unit of its kind in the world and was recognized in 1977 as a National Historic Mechanical Engineering Landmark by the American Society of Mechanical Engineers. Unit 1 was retired in 1978. Unit 2 generator went on line on January 1, 1938 and added 150,000 kw of additional capacity. It was retired in 1979. Unit 3 went on line in 1955 with a capacity of 197,000 kw and Unit 4 went on line in 1963 with a capacity of 318,000 kw. The station currently has a capacity of producing over 515,000 kw (515 megawatts or 515,000,000 watts). In recent years the plant was sold by Commonwealth Edison and is currently owned by Dominion Energy. The plant is a great example of Art Deco Industrial design.
4) State Line Boundary Marker 1830?
The Illinois-Indiana State Boundary Line Marker, is an obelisk believed to be the oldest monument in the Chicago region. The best available information puts the erection of the marker at about 1830, when the state boundary line was resurveyed by order of Congress. The fifteen and one half foot high obelisk stood at the northern end of the line that was the surveyed boundary between Illinois and Indiana. At the time of its creation, it stood near the shore line of Lake Michigan. Over the years it was pretty much forgotten and ignored. It was rediscovered, moved, restored and rededicated by members of the East Side Historical Society (now the Southeast Historical Society) and others. A local member of the Historical Society, Allen J. Benson, member of the East Side Chamber of Commerce, and an employee of Commonwealth Edison Company, influenced his company to sponsor the rehabilitation of the marker, under the joint auspices of the Illinois and Indiana State Historic Preservation agencies, with the active participation of the East Side, Hammond and Whiting-Robertsdale historical societies, the Whiting, Hammond, and EastSide Chambers of Commerce. When finished the monument was imbedded in a seven foot concrete base, was completely refurbished, and was completed with the addition of brass plates which had the original words that were previously chiseled in the soft stone of the marker. The new location is 190 feet from the original site, but still is located on the state line. The marker is under constant watch by the station's security staff. If one looks closely at the stone of the marker, fossils can be seen.
Chemistry students from Washington High School collected soil samples from the immediate site of the monument and tested them for soil nutrients and contaminants. Also the marker was examined to determine if there was damage from acid rain, which is very likely because of the proximity of the coal burning generating plant in the immediate vicinity. The soil samples were unremarkable except for the presence of lead in the soil, which was not found in any of the other sites tested by members of the class. There was evidence of pitting on the marker which is very possibly due to acid deposition from the power plant.