Saint Peter and Paul
9041 South Exchange Avenue
St. Peter & Paul German Catholic church
was founded in 1882. It is located at 9041 Exchange Avenue. For a long
time, during the early 1920's many people started to lose interest in the
church, many people of the parish would also move away. So for a long time
people felt that the SS. Peter and Paul was not needed. When the new pastor,
Reverend Arthur F. Terlecke, took his place he rearranged times of services
and devoted his most of his attention to the children. The result of his
hard work was that more and more people started showing up and the church
now needed seven Masses on Sunday. Also in 1937 a lot of construction
went on in that church. The rectory was placed on solid foundation. Asbestos
siding was applied to the church and rectory buildings. All buildings were
insulated and painted. The heating plant was modernized and fences repaired.
Also later on that year the building at 9023 Exchange Avenue was
bought for the Sisters.
Original Church Building
Combination Church School Building
Click on the links at the left to tour
Chicago's South Chicago Community.