Saint Mary Magdalene
Polish Catholic Church
8412 South Marquette
Saint Mary Magadalene
is a Polish Catholic Church . It is located on 8412 S. Marquette
Avenue. It was established in 1910 . Due to the swamp like land in
the area, it was hard for the families to get to the other local churches.
So Reverend Francis M. Wojtalewicz decided to buy 24 lots between Marquette
and Saginaw Avenue at 84th street for $5,375.40. On June 10, 1910 it was
decided to create a new Polish parish under the patronage of St. Mary Magdalene.
The new parish would be the third Polish Catholic church located in the
South Chicago community. Sunday June 26, 1910 was the day that the first
mass was held at St. Mary Magdalene. It was decided that a building
that was going to be made would contain a church , school, convent, and
hall. Construction began on August 8,1910. Also on July 17th 1911
the church had a big celebration in order to bless the church . In
that same year the Saint Mary Magdalene school opened its doors to 330
children who occupied six classes. In 1927 an auditorium was added to the
building as a parish hall. and on November 9th, 1927 a banquet was held
to celebrate the completion of the hall. A new organ was purchased for
the church in 1916.
Click on the links at the left to tour
Chicago's South Chicago Community.