The Gayety Theater was built in 1907 by Alfred Hamburger
at 9205 Commercial Ave. It was originally built as a Vaudeville house,
but as its popularity increased it became a movie theater. As time
went on, it would show different types of movies. In the late 1920s,
the Gayety then began to show silent films, along with silent serials,
dramas, and comedies. In the late 1960s, it began to show Spanish
language films because of the large Mexican influx into the community.
The Gayety was later demolished in October of 1982, because of the fire
that destroyed it in May of 1982. The site where the Gayety was at,
is presently occupied by McDonald's.
Click on the links at the left to tour
Chicago's South Chicago Community.