Saint Florian Church
132nd and Houston Avenue
Saint Florian Original Church at Corner
On the far southeast side of Chicago stands Saint
Florian church which was organized in 1905. Saint Florian church
served about one hundred Polish families when it first opened. Saint
Florian was organized within the boundaries of the English speaking parish
of Saint Columba. The church formed when Reverend Florian M. Chodniewicz
resigned from his position at Saint Columba to form his own parish for
people of Polish descent.
In 1907 construction of the school
began. In 1908 the parish opened a school. The school was a
three-story brick building which was located at 13109 S. Houston Avenue.
The school contained eight classrooms and a parish hall when it was opened.
The present rectory, which is located at 13145 S. Houston Avenue, was built
in 1912. A few years later the two-story frame residence was remodeled
to be a convent.
The parish still has many parishioners
including families and single people. The church can hold 1,200 people.
There are over eight hundred children attending the parish school.
The new school building is modern and fireproof.
When Father Konsowski came to
the parish he led remodeling of the parish convent and school. Ground
was broken on February 7, 1965. Fox & Fox, the architectural
firm, designed both buildings. The total cost of the erection of
these buildings was $450,000. The new school was completed at the
location of 13111 S. Baltimore Avenue and the convent at 3125 E. 131st
St. Florian Church Interior View
Click on the links at the left to tour
Chicago's Hegewisch Churches.