Saint Columba Church
Original St. Columba Church
13305 Green Bay Avenue
church was established in about 1884 as a mission of Saint Kevin church
(105th and Torrence). Reverend Timothy D. O’Sullivan, pastor of Saint
Kevin church, led the building of Saint Columba church. Under his
leadership a frame structure was built at 13305 S. Green Bay Avenue.
In the years from 1893 to 1896 Saint Columba was a mission of Saint Andrew
the Apostle Church, a church in neighboring Calumet City.
Reverend Edward D
Holloway was appointed to the church in May 1935. He led a program
of renovation. This included the decoration of the church and the construction
of a parish hall. Father Thomas J Kelly started the construction
of a brick combination church and a school building. The structure
is located on 134th between Green Bay and Avenue O. The Benedictine
sisters opened the school in September 1951. In 1955 the old frame
church was remodeled into a parish hall. Two bungalows were constructed
to house the nuns at 13300 S. Avenue O. Father Pahl led a program
of expansion in 1972. This included the construction of a rectory and a
Bishop Abramowicz continued
remodeling the parish. School buildings were renovated to comply with fire
regulations. They also took on a more modern appearance. Both parish halls
and kitchen facilities were also updated. Parishioners donated their labor
to convert the old parish hall into a new gymnasium. The convent was remodeled
and a new chapel , dining room , and kitchen were constructed.
Current St. Columba Church
Click on the links at the left to tour
Chicago's Hegewisch Community.