The Hegewisch News is a community newspaper
which has served this southeastern Chicago community since the 1930's.
At the Southeast Historical Museum there is a variety of information including
a brief history of the newspaper. There is also a long list of articles
from the paper which deal with items of historical interest, and an inventory
of issues dating from January 27, 1950 through May 13,1993 which are available
at the museum.
Other sets of the Hegewisch news have
been provided to the Chicago Historical Society, to the Special Collections
Department at the Harold Washington Library, and the Hegewisch branch of
the Chicago Public Library, but the most complete set of the newspaper
is available at the Southeast Historical Museum, located in Calumet Park
field house at 9801 S. Avenue G in Chicago, IL.
The Hegewisch News Weekly began publishing
on April 24, 1936. Brothers "Socho" and "Doc" Simborg began the paper
and it was edited by George Cole. During World War II the office of Civilian
Defense underwrote some of the expenses of the paper, and the paper became
a voice for defense matters, and a conduit to the boys in the service
about what was going on back home.
The paper was staffed by volunteers
including: Violet Tukich (Czachorski), Helen Hwasticki, Joe Ciezak, Irene
Stancik, Emily Lindberg (Zinnen), and Harry Jacobson. At the end of the
war, the Hegewisch News Weekly died. Then Harry Jacobson, Emily Lindberg,
and Irene Stancik took over the paper and the Hegewisch News was reborn
on Oct. 19, 1945. Then on Feb. 17, 1946 Harry Jacobson died. This
was the only week in 50 years that the paper was not published. Later,
Emily Lindberg and Irene Stancik moved and Eugene Czachorski took over
the paper. After Eugene Czachorski died in 1971, his wife, Violet, continued
publication of the paper. Then the Hegewisch News became the Hegewisch
Herald in Oct. 11,1990.
Hegewisch News 25th Anniversary Issue
Front Page, April 28, 1961
Click on the links at the left to tour
Chicago's Hegewisch Community.