A Project by
the Museology Class
Hegewisch Landmarks
Hegewisch Welcome
 Hegewisch Landmarks Introduction
 Delaware House
 Opera House
 
 
 
 
Delaware House


Delaware House on Shores of Wolf Lake

       The Delaware House  was relocated by barge to Hegewisch from the Columbian Exposition held in Jackson Park in 1893.  The Delaware House graced shores of  Wolf Lake until the 1940's.  The house was originally built by the state of Delaware for the Columbian Exposition. At the 1893 World's Fair, the Delaware House was located north of the Fine Arts Building (the current Museum of Science and Industry), north of what is now 57th Street.  
       A French-Canadian fur trapper and adventurer, Ellis Bennet, bought the house, put it on a barge, and towed it down Lake Michigan right onto Wolf Lake.  He set it on the best piece of available land, even though he did not own it.
According to literature from the Fair, "the small state of Delaware has a very creditable building representing a colonial cottage, and very comfortable within, as we enter close by the door, on a piano, there is a very beautiful stuffed silver fox, a native of the state, although now very rare and valuable. On the mantle/shelf there is some china brought from Staffordshire in England in 1688. The mantel itself is very attractive of white and gilt, with a mosaic fireboard. Close by there is a cabinet of very beautiful blue Delft- Ware over 150 years old, and of hat rich color is very difficult to obtain. The rooms are finished with pine and the walls repainted Egyptian red. In one room, an ancient banner was hung by the first ladies of Washington.  It was such importance because it was carried by a Delaware regiment in the Battle of Brandywine.  In another room clothes over one hundred years  old are hung for memory of the great past." 
       The Delaware House was located near 130th street and Wolf Lake in a spot from which many stories originated. The house was placed in the worlds fair as the designated representative for the state of Delaware. Since its relocation, the house has been occupied by a tavern, restaurant, and living quarters. In the 1940's the house was taken down by state officials after it had fallen into a state of disrepair.   

Click on the links at the left to tour
Chicago's Hegewisch Community.


 
 
Chicago
Teachers' Center
National Endowment for the Humanities
Northeastern 
Illinois University