Gallistel School is named after an
Side resident, Matthew Gallistel. Mr. Gallistel established the
store in the area in 1875, the same year the post office of "Colehour"
was opened. The school opened in 1876 and was the first public
in the East Side. The school is currently located at 103rd and
Avenue and has a branch for its upper grades in the former St. Francis
De Sales school at 101st and Avenue J.
Click on the links at the left
Chicago's East Side schools.