Evangelical Association Brethren Church
Bethlehem Lutheran Church
Bethlehem Lutheran Church was a German Lutheran Church that started in 1874. The leader who established this church was Frederick Eggers, who came to the United States from Germany in 1850. On December 27, 1874, Bethlehem's first official meeting was held. Twelve immigrant German families made up the membership in 1874. At the meeting the name of the Church and the building committee were chosen. The church was first known as the Colehour German Lutheran Church. The early trustees were Fred Eggers, Fred Millis, and Harry Millis. The first church was 40 feet by 24 feet and was built by Mr. F. Blaser, a member of the congregation, at a cost of $1,175. On July 1, 1875, a school opened with an enrollment of 22 children which later increased that month. It was closed because of the lack of a teacher but was reopened in 1879. The school was dedicated to the four "R's": Reading, `Riting, `Rithmetic, and Religion. The school maintained two classes which included six grades until 1915 when a third class was added and the school expanded to eight grades. A second larger Gothic styled wooden church building (shown above) was dedicated in 1891. That building was 50 by 90 feet and the taller of the two spires was 160 feet high. The cost of that church was approximately $16,000, including furnishings. This Church burned down in a spectacular fire on Maundy Thursday, March 28, 1918. In June of 1919, the original church building was torn down for a new school to be built. On October 12, 1919, the cornerstone was finally laid and the new church built at a cost of $80,000, opened September 19, 1920. The first English services in the church were held in 1900 but German continued to be used. In the mid 1920's Bethlehem began to change over from holding their services in German to English. In recent years, as the neighborhood has become increasingly Hispanic, there has been some talk of holding services in Spanish.
East Side United Methodist